DIY 70G Acrylic Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY 70G Acrylic Tank

After Steve’s success with his DIY tank, I have finally decided to take the plunge and build the tank I have been wanting for a while. The space where the tank will be located requires a special shape so I will have to go with acrylic. Here is a drawing of the tank that I did in Visio:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dimensions.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	1582  

Eheim Pimp Club member #7
Pimp Thread Starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I know this looks weird, but the location where the tank will go (an in-wall cabinet with a bookcase above it) has the following measurements. 48”X13” front and 44”X11” rear. Height is not a big issue, but I would like it to be around 20” tall. So if I did my math right, (Length x Width x Height divided by 231) a tank with this footprint and 20” tall would equal around 70 gallons.

I want to have as much of the top open as possible so I am looking to have a 2” border without a front to rear brace. The top will be a single piece of acrylic with the opening cutout and ¾” holes drilled into it for suction and discharge hoses from two canister filters. The heater, CO2 diffuser, and other gadgets will be inline from the filters. Here are some pictures of the top cutout:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Top Cut Out.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	1583  

Pimp Thread Starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Now I know that I will need cast acrylic and because of the possibility of bowing, it has been recommended that I use ½” acrylic. I plan on buying the acrylic already cut and drilled to specs. I also plan on building a wooden frame to hold the tank while it cures. Besides these two things, are there any gotcha’s I should worry about? Are there different clarity’s for ½” cast acrylic? Is ½” going to be enough or will I have to go up to 5/8” or ¾”.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. BTW Steve (scolley) thanks for you thread about building a custom tank. The boss (my wife) is ready to kill me (for even thinking about doing this) and you (for actually doing it and then posting it to the board). Lol

Pimp Thread Starter

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Got wood???

PTrader: (208/100%)
DIY acrylic / glass site

I don't know if you have seen this link but it may be helpful:

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

Good luck.

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 10:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badcopnofishtank
I don't know if you have seen this link but it may be helpful:

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

Good luck.
I have seen that site and it recommends using 3/8" acrylic but when I checked around about having this built and they all said it would take 1/2" and a center brace.

Plus the lowest quote I got was $1000.00

Pimp Thread Starter

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:05 AM

I've built quite a few acrylic tanks, and have built several 190s out of 3/8" cell-cast. The main problem w/ your tank plan is keeping the middle w/out a brace, this would require much thicker sheet to keep the bowing under control, and even then it still may bow more than you desire (since acrylic will gradually sag more over time if left without a brace). I think you can build the tank without much trouble using 3/8" sheet for the tank and 1/2" sheet for the top but you WILL need a center cross support. Otherwise the tank will require 3/4" material (and alot of $$$). Here's a link to my tankbuilding article and if you need more info let me know via a PM.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/article...c_aquarium.php
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 04:38 AM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
That looks like another fun project to follow along with. Can I make a suggestion to not use the black acrylic? I think you'll find over time that you'd like to swap out the backround for different colors over time and may regret using a solid acrylic for that application.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Hey Thooshe! I just stumbled on to this thread now - a bit late, sorry .

It looks to me like you are embarking on our own aggressive adventure. Nothing like my own, but blazing your own trails here. Way to go!

Only problem is, now that I've finally stumbled onto this... where's the progress report? Have you given up? Maybe having a life got in the way?

Let us know what's up. You are trying to do something very cool here, and an update would be nice.

Good luck!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

After looking at the cost of getting the tank built, having to drill holes in the cabinets and discussing it with the wife. She told me to go ahead and get a larger tank with a stand. I am now in the planning process of a 125G tank. Will start buying stuff after I clear out(sell off) all of my old stuff.

With the new tank I plan on getting the items I want by doing everything slowly. In the past, I got into a hurry trying to set everything up so I had to compromise on certain things. I figure that if I plan and take my time with this one, it will be the tank of my dreams.

Pimp Thread Starter

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 02:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Well, so much for the aggressive building process. But hey, if you can afford to just buy what you really want, that's a lot better than taking on the risks involved in building a compromise, IMO.

Good luck with the 125.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

That is one of the main reasons I am taking my time. This hobby can get expensive quick.

Pimp Thread Starter

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode