post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ming Send a message via MSN to ming
DIY Fan hood

Hey guys!
I was going to wire up some fans to my hood and read this article
https://www.plantedtank.net/diyhoodfan.html
From reading that, is it safe to assume you can any fan to any ac/dc adapter as long as the mA on the ac/dc adapter is more then the fan?
Also, Instead of wiring up 1 fan to 1 ac/dc adapter, I wanted to wire 2 fans to 1 ac/dc adapter. I bought 2 fans which are 225mA, 12V each. Would it be okay to wire them both to an adapter which is rated for 500mA, 12V?
Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Taken down
10G, 2x10W PC Walmart Screw-ins Cherry Shrimp Tank
29G, 2x65W PC Coralife, Flourite Taken down

Taken down

75G, 2x54W T5, 90lbs Flourite

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to cich
Yes, as long as the adapter is rated for more mA than the motor (or any device). The adapter's rating is more of a potential, and the motor is what determines current. It's the voltage that's important.

Wiring the 2 fans to 1 adapter is no problem either, since the cumulative current of the fans doesn't exceed the adapter. Just be sure to wire them in "parallel" and not in "series"
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 02:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Cool, Thanks!

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2005, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
I installed mine with a separate switch for a pair.

that way I can turn them on and off as I choose, but I did find one thing really interesting.

In the winter months we are experiencing here in australia the amount of condensation forming on the hodd without the fans on is really scary. so they stay on 24/7 and have done so for 8 months now!

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
I just thought of how some people say not to leave an adapter plugged in if it's not being used. Something about the transformer being damaged by being plugged in but no current being drawn. Anyways, if this is true, then I'd have concerns about using an adapter that's rated for a lot of current, but using a tiny fan that doesn't barely utilize it. However, I'm not sure if it is actually bad to leave them plugged in.

Either way though, your adapter is well matched to the fans, so don't worry.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2005, 10:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
Yeah, I did essentially the same thing on my hood. I added a fan for each of my 55w PC bulbs and they are on a single switch so in the winter when I probably don't need them they can be left off. I would advise getting some decent fans that have a low dB rating unless noise doesn't really bother you. I used these http://www.silenxusa.com/productcart...8&idproduct=56 and couldn't be happier. They speed up automatically when the temp increases and the maximum is still only 14dB. Nearly inaudible unless I'm right next to the tank.

Have fun,

Brian

Eheim Pimp #134
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-01-2005, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
Yeah same, I have twin 80mm silenX fans in mine.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-03-2005, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I rigged up my setup fans. I actually used an old ac/dc adapter from another electronic which was 9V and 1.4Amps. And I hooked 3 fans up to it, 2x225mA(Panaflo 92mm fan 56CFM) and 1x400mA(120mm). Works like a charm. I'll upgrade that to a 12V adapter if I find a spare one because I dont feel like paying for it when this works. The fans are rated at 35db which you can definately hear a hum, but its only on when the lights are on, not when I sleep. Because its on the same timer as my lights, I wont have the problem if being plugged in with no current being drawn because the current is stopped at the timer.

Taken down

Taken down

Taken down

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 02:02 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Matak
Hi all, first post.

I have an AC fan on my DIY hood which I leave off in the winter time. But after reading Curare's post about condensation it has me thinking about small amounts of mould that grow in the hood in the winter time, most likely from a build up of condensation. I think I might consider leaving mine on all year, at least when the light timer is 'on'.

Can I connect an AC fan to a rheostat without harming the motor? I don't think that I want it on full bore in the winter, just enough to keep the air moving.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode