Please HELP me... :-) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please HELP me... :-)

Hi everyone, Iv'e been in the aquarium hobbie for about 5 months now. In that time I have collected a 30 gallon and a 75 gallon. At the beggining it was rough. I spent too much money chemicals that I didn't need, and all my fish kept dying. Over these past 5 months I've gained just enough knolage to keep mt fish alive, so now Im going for plants. I have been trying to grow aquadic plants now for aproximitly 2 months, and I've had absolutly no luck. I've looked for information on the internet about how to grow plants, but all I fined is information about complicated chemicals, fertilizers and nutreince that plant need to survive. It seem to me, you must have to have an advanced degree in botoney or something just to keep these plants alive. Or maybe I'm just dumb. Anyways, I have little to no money, and I would like to know exactly what I should purchase..

so far I've got 130 watts over a 75 gallon tank. Water conditions are soft and slightly acidic, with a ph of 6.8. I did a 100% water change over the last couple days, and I would like someone to tell me exactly what I should put in my water. I have two products called "Equilibrium", (restors mineral balance and gh) and another product called "Kent" (a potasium, iron and micro-nutreint supplement). If someone could inform me if there is anything else I will need, and how much should I put in my water?? HELP ANYONE!

PS.. I will not be using c02, and I dont use any sub-strate, just gravel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 11:42 AM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuks
Hi everyone, I've been in the aquarium hobby for about 5 months now. In that time I have collected a 30 gallon and a 75 gallon. At the beginning it was rough. I spent too much money (on or for) chemicals that I didn't need, and all my fish kept dying. Over these past 5 months I've gained just enough knowledge to keep my fish alive, so now I'm going for plants. I have been trying to grow aquatic plants now for approximately 2 months, and I've had absolutely no luck. I've looked for information on the Internet about how to grow plants, but all I find is information about complicated chemicals, fertilizers and nutrients that plant need to survive. It seem to me, you must have to have an advanced degree in botany or something just to keep these plants alive. Or maybe I'm just dumb. Anyways, I have little to no money, and I would like to know exactly what I should purchase..

So far I've got 130 watts over a 75 gallon tank. Water conditions are soft and slightly acidic, with a pH of 6.8. I did a 100% water change over the last couple days, and I would like someone to tell me exactly what I should put in my water. I have two products called "Equilibrium", (restores mineral balance and gh) and another product called "Kent" (a potassium, iron and micro-nutrient supplement). If someone could inform me if there is anything else I will need, and how much should I put in my water?? HELP ANYONE!

PS.. I will not be using c02, and I don't use any substrate (amendments), just gravel.
Please change the title of the thread to something less derogatory, "I'm Confused" would be a better choice.

Stop adding chemicals to your tank untill you have a grasp of why and for what.

What plants are you trying to grow?
Are you using RO water?

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Gravel is substrate. Substrate is gravel.

Read my Guide.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
As Rex said, look at his guide. Don't be in a rush to get an award winning tank from the beginning, and look at this and other forums for much knowledge. The learning curve seems daunting when you first start out, but it really isn't that bad, and the results can be very fulfilling.

Bert
Filstar pimp #19
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Grigg
Gravel is substrate. Substrate is gravel.

Read my Guide.

this link above (rexgrigg) has no information on it... when I go to the site, the only thing I can fined is a link that lets you sign the guest book. Otherwise there is no information on plants... what up with dat????
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 06:26 PM
Planted Member

check out the drop down menu under the "visit counter"

Last edited by fishyface; 07-13-2005 at 12:55 AM.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 08:57 PM

I second everyone's advice to read Rex Grigg's guide. I just read it and it gave this newbie-to-planted-tanks a LOT of information, info that's written in an easy to understand way. He spits it right out there, tells you what you need, why you need it and where to get it. Just the facts, ma'am. VERY good site.

And yep, look for the drop-down menu. It's right up there at the top.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

huh

yea great site

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode