Help with my "Sugar&Yeast" c02 generator plz - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with my "Sugar&Yeast" c02 generator plz

Hi all, this is my very first post. After searching the internet for hours, I finnaly hit the jackpot when I stumbled onto this web site. Everyone here seems to know quite alot about these "yeast and sugar" c02 generators.
I don't have much money, and I cant afford to buy a c02 tank. I was very exited when i found out this extreamly cheap method of making c02, and It would greatly appreatid if someone could answer a couple questions I have...

To begin, I have a 75 gallon tank that will be lightly planted. All my plants are currnetly dying, (probably because im very new to this whole aquadic plant thing.)

I made the mixture of approximitly 1 1/2 cups of sugar, with 1 TSP of yeast. Mixed it, and put it in a 4 liter milk jug. The mix has been sitting for about a day and a half, and I can only get 1 bubble every 10 seconds. Compared to other reports of having up to 6 bubbles, this seems like it's not working...

PS.. I've made sure there are NO leaks in the air tuubing or sealent.. Any sujjestions will be greatly appreteated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 03:06 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
IMO, you will not be able to succeed at DIY co2 in a 75g tank. Even if you get some good production you will have algae blooms as those good productions dwindle down. Even if you get a routine down, it will be a pain in the rear routine.

If you cant afford pressurized co2 then look into doing a non-co2 tank.

Go to www.BarrReport.com and read up on the non-co2 injection EI method guide/discussion by Tom Barr. Also would be good to subscribe to his forum and read his Monthly Barr Reports. Very educational and has some good info on co2 and non-co2 plant keeping from the ground up.

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 04:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was wondering...I have a 75 gallon tank and DIY c02 generators isnt sufficient. What if I had two, four liter milk jugs. That is almost 8 liters of suger and yeats sollution. Would that be enough to drasticly improve the c02's-ppm???

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 02:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

im not saying that it can't be done. I had DIY co2 on my 50g getting me 25ppm at one time. What I am saying is that you will not be able to maintain the "consistency" that is necessary for a planted tank.

You will have to constantly be shaking up the bottles and remaking the bottles in order to maintain. And you will have to constantly be checking the bubble counts and pH of your tank. DIY is just way too variable. And with algae loving variability, it just isn't worth it.

You could still try it though, I just bet that it will take you 2-4 weeks to say screw it and quit DIY happened with me anyway... too much time and labor for something that will most likely be unsuccessful anyway.

To help you out with your mixture though, I think you are under-dosing the ingredients. Here is what I used to use on my 40g per 2L bottle (you are using 4L so you will want to double it):

2cups granulized sugar
2t Bakers Yeast (note that this is not Brewers Yeast.. Bakers Yeast is the granulized yeast)
1t Molasses (or protein drink)
1/4t Baking Soda
1-1.5L De-chlorinated water

Directions:
1) Desolve the 2 cups of Sugar in warm-hot water (de-chlorinated). Either in the 2L bottle, or a separate container (then pour in 2L bottle)
2) Put in the 1 tp of Molasses
3) Fill bottle with room temperature or cool de-chlorinated water to ~3-4" from the top.
4) Put in the Baking soda and Bakers Yeast
5) Shake briefly with cap on.
6) allow time for solution to reach room temperature and it is ready.
7) *sometimes takes 24 hours for co2 production to get sufficient*

Cliff
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
You say your plants are dying. Plants rarely die due to a lack of CO2. To really get to the bottom of your problem we need to know more about your tank.

How much light do you have?
What is the pH?
kH?

What kinds of plants?
How long has the tank been set up?
What kind of substrate?

Are you dosing any nutrients?
What are your nitrate levels?
Phosphate levels?

My first guess will be that your plants are dying due to insufficient light.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

hi there, I would be very happie to fined out that my plants are not dying becasuse of lack of c02. currentyl, I have 130 watts of light on my 75 gallon tank. my ph stays around 7, and I dont use any sub-strate, just gravil. I dont know what the hell phosphates are, and the only fertilizer I use is a pottasium and iron supplement. the water where i live is VERY soft and acidic.

If anyone can help me, I would be greatfull forever...

ps.. youll have to exuse my horrible spelling...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
For plants to build biomass ("grow") they need various nutrients. Some are called macro nutrients, because they are needed in relatively large quantities. Phosphates and Nitrates are among them. If your water happens to not contain them, plants will struggle. You might need to look into nitrates and phosphates. Punch these terms into the search box and read up on them

One bubble per 10 seconds from a 1 gal jug tells me something isn't working, most likely leak or dead yeast. But like Rex mentioned, this won't kill your plants. Zero nitrates with quite a bit of light might do that...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the info... I went to my local fish store today, and they said the same thing.
they said that my plants are not dying because of lack of c02, but they are dying because of another reason. In the last two weeks I have hade a bad algy problem with my water. I have been dooing 20% water changes every day, and now my water is clear. with all the large water changes I've done, my nitrates are probably extreamly low or non existant. This combined with 10 hours of light a day may be causeing their death. Currently i have 2 milk jugs, that are 4 liters each. Ive made 8 liters of yeast sollution and hooked up the two milk jugs with a 2 way gang valve. I'm now getting around 5 bubbels every 10 seconds, and there are NO leaks in my toobing.

I now know that my plants aren't dying because of lack of c02, but adding a little extra c02 can't hurt can it?

if anyone can give me more information, I could really use the advice
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

you do have a pretty low wpg. 130 / 75 = ~1.75. May want to boost that up if you have the $$$ means to do it.

increasing co2 wont hurt anything as long as you dont add so much that your fish start gasping for air. Can be a little tricky with DIY, but you can work the kinks out over time.

do you have KNO3 to dose? if not get some off of www.gregwatson.com

Cliff
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hay SPAR. you seem to really know what your talkin about... Ive posted another message called "WHY ARE MY PLANTS DYING" if you could respon to it, I would be very thankfull.. Ive been checking this message board every couple hours, so it wont take me long to reply.

Thanks for your help SPAR.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

yip. just hit that post up we can just continue on that one as necessary.

Cliff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode