grade 321 stainless steel heat exchanger - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
grade 321 stainless steel heat exchanger

Ok. i ordered TITANIUM from McMasterCarr and they sent me stainless steel without my authorization and charged me double for what was sent to me!!1

While I can send it back, I am wasting $40 still for the shipping they charged me and if I want to ship it back!!! And, i'm not even sure if I can fit it in my car to take it to my post office!

However, I have heard that higher grades of stainless steel, particularly type 321 offer excellent corrosion resistance. The question is, would you say this is safe? I have seen a place called Aquachill that makes stainless steel chillers for freshwater.

While I still will complain to McMasterr, if I can just keep it, instead of just wasting more money on shipping, and then having to hunt all over again for titanium, i would like to.

I'm making my own chiller. And everything seems fine except for this part!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 02:18 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
The stainless will be great for corosion resistance. But I'm not sure about thermal conduction... my guess is that it'd be a little slower in the heat exchange capacity than titanium, aluminum or copper.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Has anybody else used stainless steel tubing? I know the 316 grade is good, but 321 is supposedly stronger. But I'm not so sure still.

Thing is, Aquachill makes stainless steel chillers for freshwater. But I cannot reach them! their site is down! Anybody have contact information!?!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Since they shipped you the wrong product and charged you more than it should have been I would advise contacting your credit card company and start processing a charge back. Then contact them and ask them to send you a prepaid shipping label to get the INCORRECTLY shipped product back. If they give you any flack do the charge back. You have reasonable grounds. Then contact them again and TELL them if they want the product back to send a prepaid label. Also send a Certified letter, Return Receipt requested outlining the problem. If after 30 days they have not sent you a label send another Cert. letter giving them 15 days to respond or you will consider the product abandoned property and start charging them storage fees.

I get really tired of a company that makes a mistake and then wants to charge you to correct it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 01:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
What Rex said, dont put up with that fecal matter!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well, i called them and got a decent manager on the phone. He was very nice and didn't act as if it was my fault (because it wasn't!)

He said he was very sorry for this and didn't blame me, and he agreed to have UPS come pick it up and have a prepaid postage so I don't have to worry about it. He also agreed to remove some of the shipping charge (the $20 one) and just charge me what my tubing cutter costed to ship. He will also remove the charges of the stainless steel.

While I was happy, i still had no idea where to find titanium. He called me back about 2 hours later and had good news. Three foot length of grade 2 titanium 1/2" od was sitting in the warehouse, so he will be sending me a three foot piece tomorrow for about $40.

Thanks guys!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Where did you get plans for a chiller? I'm curious as it would be something I'd be interested in making if the plans were easy enough. (BTW, easy is a relative term.)

Tanks,
Mike

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

search on google: DIY aquarium chiller dehumidifier

The original site is down, but many places borrowed the info.

Thing is, you can get like a 1/3-1/4 HP chiller for only half price done this way.

I bought a 50 pint dehumidifier. a 25 pint is about 1/6 HP. You have to bend the cooling coils out. Put it in a sump, and hook the dehumidifier up to a 4 degree differential temp controller from a beer place online. Then, get another, aquarium temp controller and hook it up to a powerhead. The powerhead pumps water through a heat exchanger like titanium or stainless steel in the sump. Its bulkier than a normal chiller, but I am not willing to pay close to $1000 when the only real difference with chillers is a built in temp controller and titanium coils....thats about it. Its monopoly, thats all it is....
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 02:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to turbomkt Send a message via MSN to turbomkt Send a message via Yahoo to turbomkt
Thanks! My wife might like my tanks a little better if I can move one out to the garage even in the summer

--Mike
Eheim Pimp #41

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode