Newly built DIY inline CO2 reactor - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 08:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Newly built DIY inline CO2 reactor

Do you soak yours or wash it thorougly to get possible PVC cement nasties off the reactor before using it on your tank? Any info on prep would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Huey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
I ran warm water through mine for about 5 mins. Till the smell was gone from the cement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:56 PM
Planted Member

It's mainly the fumes from the solvent that I would be worried about, but I fully plumbed my tank and used the piping around 4-5 hours later and everything was perfect. I even glued a leaking part on my reactor and imediatly put it on with no ill effects, although I wouldn't recomend this.

Also if I were you i'd leak test it in the shower or something. I just put a pump in a bucket and had it go into the reactor then back into the bucket and left it like that overnight. I actually did have a few leaks (only places where it was a screw connection, not glued) and I'm glad I found out there instead of havinng to pull it back our from under the tank.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for your responses. I ran some warm water through it and installed it No leaks so far;p

Huey
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 12:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
After cleaning, I test them by connecting a hose in a loop, but filled with water.
Then hook up any old air pump to the co2 inlet. Let the pump run for a short while, with a check valve in-line. Turn off air pump and watch for leaks.

Just be careful when you remove the air line...otherwise you've just made a nice super soaker type water gun :-)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I hooked up one end to the tap and kept the other end open. let warm water run for a bit. Then I plug up the co2 inlet and the water outlet and turn down the water to create a little bit of pressure to check for leaks

jhoetzl, the reactor I built is essentially your design minus some parts;p

Thanks!
Huey
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just want to post a picture of the Hofteizer Style reactor I built and it is working great so far.

Thanks!
Huey
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 04:01 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
reactor

On your reactor is there any way to open it to clean the bio balls that are in it? Also where did you get the clear pvc pipe? And on the brass fitting that is where the co2 hooks up, is there a wood airstone on the other side?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hi James,

I was in a hurry to get this built and went to get my parts from a nearby Lowe's which is just newly opened. Unfortunately, they do not have as complete an inventory on the plumbing fittings. I went over and went over what they had and I had to just get it done with what I was able to get

So, no way to open up for cleaning the bioballs but I had tought about it and decided that I could simply cut the clear pvc just above the bottom fitting if i needed to clean the bioballs. That way, all i need to replace is the bottom cap, a small piece of 3/4" pvc and the 90degree fitting.

I used the 10" clear PVC from the python gravel vacuum tube that I am not using. I was surprised at how good the quality of that clear tube is I can probably replace it at a later time with a lower quality clear tubing.

I do not have a wood airstone on the other end of the co2 intake.

Hope that helps and good luck

Thanks
Huey
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 06:48 PM

cool

Yeah that helps out a bunch, i am going to make up a couple of them today, but i am going to put the wood airstone in it to get maximum absorbtion, i have a 300 gallon tank, do you think 2 of these would be enought?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 06:49 PM

hmm

I figured you have about a wopping $8 in it? Awesome i almost spent $120 on 2 aqua medic 1000's.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question of whether 2 is enough for your setup Maybe some of the more experienced guys here can chime in on that question

I can't remember how much I spent but it wasn't much. You can get a long python gravel tube from drsfostersmith and cut it into several pieces or order clear PVC from several other online stores for not much. aquaticeco.com sells clear PVC:

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/.../8609/cid/2074

I believe there are several others who sells them as well.

Hope that helps
Thanks
Huey
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2005, 08:15 PM

clear pvc

I found a place in town today that sells clear pvc 2" x5' for $19.99 i can make 5 of them with that much tube, allready went and picked up all the fitting i will need and i allready have a bunch of bio balls , just have to go pick up the clear pvc pipe tommorow

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode