DIY CO2, 20 hours later, no bubbles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2, 20 hours later, no bubbles

My DIY CO2 reactor isn't working. I followed the directions, 1 tsp yeast, luke warm water, 2 cups sugar, but still no bubbles (almost 20 hours running).

I was thinking, another 1/2 cup of sugar.....

Any thoughts?

thanks
dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (92/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Jason Baliban
You might have a leak in your plumbing. I have heard of brew not working at all, but i have never seen it. If you are absolutely sure you dont have a leak, dump the brew and make more. Its cheap!! HEHE
jB
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe the yeast went bad. You should always proof it! Or your water was to hot and killed the yeast.

Jeff B
Algae farmer Extraordinaire
-----------------------------------------------
29gallon - AH Supply 1X55w 5500K, 1X13w Red (Night) CP -- pressurized C02, milwaukee regulator, DIY inline C02 Reactor -- Rena XP1
----------------------------------------
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Echinodorus Uruguayensis "Amazon Sword"
Bacopa monnieri "moneywort"
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''brown''
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Hygrophila Difformis “Water Wisteria”

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Smile

This is my second batch. I even went and bought some new yeast. What do you mean when you say "proof it"?

Water was luke warm...........

I believe that the plumbing is good. When I give the bottle a gentle squeeze, I can see it push the water.

Any other thoughts? I appreciate them all.
sincerely
Dave
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2005, 09:55 PM

leaks, baking soda

You first need to be certain that you have no leaks, if there is some gas in the line, but not enough to push down into the tank, then the pressure must be escaping. Every connection is a potential leak.

Aquarium silicone is good in compression but not in tension, so don't count on it to hold an external connection. I like Liquid Nails (a clear caulk type glue from the hardware store, caulk dept) and I've used it even on a unit that was in production and actively leaking and had it hold under pressure when applied to the outside of a cap connection.

Then, more sugar is not better, the sugar can get too high and actually retard the yeast, IME. The water vs sugar ratio is important, that 2 cup sugar is typically with nearly 2 liters of water. For a smaller bottle, less than 2 liter, reduce the sugar accordingly.

Last, I add a teaspoon of baking soda. In tests I conducted using similar bottles, the one with the bakins soda was much better, producing more and longer. If you use bread yeast, it does not tolerate the acidic condition that develops in the bottle, the baking soda gives it an alkaline starting point.

Oh, also, water needs to be not at all hot, just about skin temp is fine.

To proof the yeast, add the yeast to a cup of lukewarm water wiht a pinch of sugar. Let the yeast fall then rise again, look for a tiny bit of foam around the rim of the cup. That means it is good and you have given the yeast a chance to wake up and rehydrate before you plunge it into the sugar solution.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, problem solved

I thought my plumbing was good, but it wasn't. I double checked everything, except the gang valve. I put some teflon tape around the valves and problem solved.

When revelation hit!..........."You first need to be certain that you have no leaks, if there is some gas in the line, but not enough to push down into the tank, then the pressure must be escaping. Every connection is a potential leak."

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts and suggestions.

sincerely
dave

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode