DIY CO2 bubbles per minute - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
naX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
DIY CO2 bubbles per minute

First question, when figuring bubbles per minute in a DIY CO2 system, do you count from the bubble counter (a 20 oz bottle to collect the gas) or from the end of the diffuser?

Second question, in a 29 gallon (if that's a factor), what sort of BPM do you want to shoot for?

I'm currently seeing about 90 per minute (1.5 per second). I'm not sure if this is high/low/just right. I'm trying to regulate my CO2. I test up to 27 ppm and I'd like to lower it a bit, but I'm not sure how much to turn it down (I use a series of valves/splitters).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
A bubble count is only good as a reference for a specific tank. You can not get a given bubble count and expect the same CO2 ppm on different tanks.

So if you get 27 ppm with 90 bubbles/minute, you could start by reducing it to 60 bubbles and see where the CO2 ends up, and then figure out if you want to increase it a bit if it is too low.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
As far as I can tell, for a medium or high light tank, DIY CO2 will not put out so much that you need to keep track of the bubble count. Just keep it cranked up as high as it goes and worry about the ferts. If you have a good reactor in there it may be another matter, though. I have a 20 gallon with a Rio 500 reactor, which is the same one I use on my 75 gallon tank. The only difference is that on my 75 it is pressurized CO2 and in my 20 it is DIY CO2. On my 20 gallon, I just use a Natural CO2 system tank, which is about 20 ounces and set the reactor on the same timer as the lights so it turns off along with the lights. That way the CO2 just bubbles out at night without being mixed into the water. It seems to work pretty well.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode