Plywood Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mshaeffer
Plywood Tank

Has anyone here ever built a plywood tank? I have some leftover plywood and thought I would give it a try. I am just looking for some info on the process. If anyone can help that would be great, also I would love to see some pics of a plywood tank or two!

Thanks
Mike

Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
No personal experience, but here's a link:
140 gallon plywood aquarium plans

—Bill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2005, 04:46 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 05:33 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Troy McClure
I built a plywood tank last summer along with the stand, and I'm sloooowly working on the canopy. What would you like to know?

I've got a ton of pictures:
Here it is from almost two months ago when I finally decided to fill it and use it as a holding tank for plants.

http://img50.echo.cx/img50/3269/img06670dt.jpg

This picture was taken last summer after the epoxy had dried but before the glass, silicone, and exterior paint was applied.

http://img50.echo.cx/img50/4616/picture0173ts.jpg

I don't recall exactly when this was taken. My guess would be early summer/late spring of last year.

http://img50.echo.cx/img50/1268/tank017kd.jpg

Glass installation picture. Exciting, isn't it?

http://img50.echo.cx/img50/6655/picture0161gs.jpg

"Artsy" shot from a few days after I got all the plumbing finished. The plants and wood came from the 10gal which was torn down on the day the picture was taken.

http://img50.echo.cx/img50/9789/img06820vw.jpg

- Erik
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 06:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

i have a 100g plywood tank in my garage that I used to hold minnows. I just made it out of 2x4's and 2x12's and used pond-liner on the interior. You cant see in it from the side though. So if doing this for looks, dont do my style

Cliff
450g Planted Discus Tank - Work in Process!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2005, 03:51 AM
Algae Grower

I built a 15 gallon hardboard tank for firebellies, that i'm still making. I have a sheet how to "coat epoxy for water tanks for consumption" sent to me by West System Epoxy. There is a special ratio for epoxy to hardener for tanks, and special curing must be done. I am making epoxy backgrounds for a giant xenopus frog tank as well.

I can send it to you in an email...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 02:44 AM
Algae Grower

I was actually thinking about making a 70 gallon plywood aquarium out of one sheet of plywood. Here is the rough layout.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 03:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Wasserpest has built plywood tanks, and is planning another. Here is his journal on the first one. Lots of good info there. For a tank this size I think you may spend more for epoxy, glass or acrylic viewing panels and silicone then you could buy a standard 75 Gallon aquarium for on Craig's list.

Steve
Victor Pimp #34
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Algae Grower

i have not thought about Craig's list. cool
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

120 gallons is the smallest tank you can make out of 1 sheet of plywood. Anything less than that is probably not worth it. I built a 120, a 240 (8x2x2) and a 360 (6x4x2). They are not as aesthetically pleasing as a glass tank, but they work just fine. I braced the front and back with edgewise 2x4s near the top, which made filter connections a bit of a trial. Sorry, this was about 1983 and we didn't have cameras then.

One thing I remember, the guide I was following (from the Chicago Shedd Aquarium I think) recommended that you paint the inside (of course) but not the outside. In their experience, aquariums painted inside and out tended to rot when small amounts of water became trapped between the paint layers.

2 inch #10 pan head screws every 2 inches along the seams, with the hole in the flat piece drilled extra big so the threads would not catch. Make sure to drill a pilot the same size as the screw body 2 inches deep or you will split the end piece. Paint the interior with a paint that is safe for contact with human water systems, then seal the seams with silicone.

Easy as pie.

For the really big ones, I built the stand first and constructed them on top of the stand. Otherwise setting them in place required throwing a party.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-06-2009, 12:24 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've built one also. Going on 2.5 years now, no reall issues or complaints.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...al-corner.html

http://webpages.charter.net/tusktek/...osity_pics.htm

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode