Q's on DIY CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
naX
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Q's on DIY CO2

Hi all,

This is my first post on here, though I've been lurking for several months.

I just recently did a ODNO on my 29 gallon tank (2 x 24" T12's at 4X @ ~2.7WPG). As a result, I'm also going to start CO2 injection. I was stoked to start, but after reading about 7 pages of information here, I'm not getting that same feeling.

I have a 29 gallon tank that will be medium/heavy planted. Right now, it's just Anacharis. I have two power filters: an AquaClear 200 and a Penguin 100. I do NOT have an airpump/bubble wand. I really don't want on either. I like using my two HOB's for surface agitation. I have two fancy goldfish, and that's it.

Anyway, for my DIY setup, I'll be using the 2L bottle, the small water bottle as the bubble counter, high quality tubing (designed for the fuel of R/C aircraft), and an air stone diffuser.

Now, before my reading today, I was going to place the air stone very near to the AquaClear intake and let it suck in the bubbles to be "chopped up". Because I use this filter as my aggitator, it seems that I'm going to be injecting CO2 for nothing, is this correct?

I've been thinking that I may have to get an air pump and air stone and keeping the water level high enough to get rid of the surface aggitation (no problem here). My question would be: "If I take this route, get a moderately planted tank, and get good pearling on a constant basis, can I get rid of the air pump/air stone?" You don't understand how much I do NOT like air stones in my tank. I will only use one if I absolutely have to.

Anyway, has anyone else done a DIY CO2 setup with surface aggitation? If so, what are your experiences?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I tried doing DIY CO2 with a penguin HOB filter. I found the Bio-Wheel out gassed all of my C02 from water agitation. After switching to a canister filter and injecting the CO2 into a inline reactor I now consistently have 30ppm or more of CO2 in the water.

You need to experiment. Monitor your KH and PH to see the effect the surface agitation has on the C02 level. My tank has no agitation and so has very little loss of CO2. The problem I am running into is that the plants use up all the O2 at night and my fish are gasping at the surface in the morning. Once the lights are on they are OK since the plants start producing 02 again

Jeff B
Algae farmer Extraordinaire
-----------------------------------------------
29gallon - AH Supply 1X55w 5500K, 1X13w Red (Night) CP -- pressurized C02, milwaukee regulator, DIY inline C02 Reactor -- Rena XP1
----------------------------------------
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Echinodorus Uruguayensis "Amazon Sword"
Bacopa monnieri "moneywort"
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''brown''
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Hygrophila Difformis “Water Wisteria”
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via AIM to Cheeseybacon Send a message via Yahoo to Cheeseybacon
If your 02 situation is really that bad at night, why not just run air pump only at night? This is exactly why I love pressurized C02... it can simply be turned off at night. You shouldn't have any problems during the day way though. Air stones are usually unnecessary because the plants give off plenty of 02 during photosynthesis. Plus water is always reacting with the air, as long as you have your power filters to surfure water circulation, you fish should have more than enough oxygen.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-17-2005, 06:47 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeseybacon
If your 02 situation is really that bad at night, why not just run air pump only at night? This is exactly why I love pressurized C02... it can simply be turned off at night. You shouldn't have any problems during the day way though. Air stones are usually unnecessary because the plants give off plenty of 02 during photosynthesis. Plus water is always reacting with the air, as long as you have your power filters to surfure water circulation, you fish should have more than enough oxygen.
Nahh I'm using that as an excuse to go with a pressurized system. I received my regulator during the week and will be picking up a tank tomorrow. Yippee.

I plan to run the co2 only when the lights are on. (trying not to be a complete techno and resisting the desire for a ph controller, I love new toys).

Jeff B
Algae farmer Extraordinaire
-----------------------------------------------
29gallon - AH Supply 1X55w 5500K, 1X13w Red (Night) CP -- pressurized C02, milwaukee regulator, DIY inline C02 Reactor -- Rena XP1
----------------------------------------
Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig'
Echinodorus Uruguayensis "Amazon Sword"
Bacopa monnieri "moneywort"
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''brown''
Cryptocoryne wendtii ''green''
Hygrophila Difformis “Water Wisteria”

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode