First DIY CO2 experiment - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:00 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
First DIY CO2 experiment

OK, I think I've got my first ever CO2 experiment running.

I mixed 1 1/2 cups sugar with warm water...mixed thoroughly, added just under 1/2 tsp of yeast, filled 2 liter bottle to bell...put cap on with airline siliconed in place. Put in a check valve, and an airstone on the end in the tank.

I know that's crude, and I know many of you will critisize, but I want to see if I'm doing this right. So out of curiosity, how long should it take before I start seeing bubbles pushed out of the airstone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodymdt
OK, I think I've got my first ever CO2 experiment running.

I mixed 1 1/2 cups sugar with warm water...mixed thoroughly, added just under 1/2 tsp of yeast, filled 2 liter bottle to bell...put cap on with airline siliconed in place. Put in a check valve, and an airstone on the end in the tank.

I know that's crude, and I know many of you will critisize, but I want to see if I'm doing this right. So out of curiosity, how long should it take before I start seeing bubbles pushed out of the airstone?
Nothing crude about your setup at all. If you shake the mix well you should start seeing bubbles within 30 minutes. But it'll take awhile for CO2 to actually enter into the tank as all the air in the bottle and tube will need to be displaced first.

óBill

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

OK, I'VE GOT BUBBLES....well not a cascade or anything, but about 3-5 bubbles every second coming out of the airstone.!!!!

I hope that's a good thing!

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada
Nothing crude about your setup at all. If you shake the mix well you should start seeing bubbles within 30 minutes. But it'll take awhile for CO2 to actually enter into the tank as all the air in the bottle and tube will need to be displaced first.

Ok, so the first bubbles will be the displaced air.....got it.

Any way to know if/when the change takes place and the CO2 starts going in?

Or is it just a matter of fact that it will?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ok, so the first bubbles will be the displaced air.....got it.

Any way to know if/when the change takes place and the CO2 starts going in?

Or is it just a matter of fact that it will?
If you were using a ladder type diffuser you'd be able to tell because the CO2 bubbles will get smaller as they rise. You still may be able to see the effect on the bubbles out of the airstone. I know that the tiny CO2 bubbles that get discharged out of my external reactor disapear before reaching the surface.

óBill

|
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:25 AM Thread Starter

thanks bharada, if you will, check back in a bit; I'll have probably a few more questions by then. I'm gonna go watch my bubbles...lol.

If this works, then I'll go buy some more 2 liter bottles, empty them, and make this simple reactor for the other two tanks, along with a couple spares that I can make up when these run out.

Oh yeah, by the way...HOW can you tell when the CO2 is used up in the bottles? Will the bubbles stop?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I checked the DIY CO2 setup this morning, and there are still bubbles coming out of the airstone...probably 1-3 every second or so...not many, but it's still working.

I removed the Aqua-tech 30/60 and replaced it with a Pengiun 150 bio wheel filter, so that should help a little as well.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oh yeah, by the way...HOW can you tell when the CO2 is used up in the bottles? Will the bubbles stop?
Yes. Or at lease start slowing down consoderably.

Quote:
I removed the Aqua-tech 30/60 and replaced it with a Pengiun 150 bio wheel filter, so that should help a little as well.
You'll want to remove the biowheel. The agitation is creates in the water will cause you to lose the CO2 dissolved in the water.

óBill

|
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 03:39 PM
Planted Member

If you can count bubbles coming out of the airstone, you are not dissolving your CO2. Depending on the size of your tank air stone will not do the job to induce CO2 in your tank.

For a smaller tank(less than 30g), get a ladder. For a bigger tank build a reactor.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pk-sd
If you can count bubbles coming out of the airstone, you are not dissolving your CO2. Depending on the size of your tank air stone will not do the job to induce CO2 in your tank.

For a smaller tank(less than 30g), get a ladder. For a bigger tank build a reactor.
Ok, so ditch the airstone and get a ladder...Any way to build a ladder? Or is that something that has to be purchased?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:25 PM

PTrader: (1/100%)
as far as I can think, ladder must be bought. reactor, though, is easy enough to build.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahbobarah
as far as I can think, ladder must be bought. reactor, though, is easy enough to build.
Ok, can you point me to one? And is it possible to build a reactor that would be small enough so it doesn't look outrageous in a 20gal long tank?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Ok, can you point me to one? And is it possible to build a reactor that would be small enough so it doesn't look outrageous in a 20gal long tank?
Ladder diffuser

óBill

|
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharada

Actually I was asking about the reactor, but thanks for the link to the ladder...that looks pretty cool..
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-16-2005, 04:30 PM
pma
Algae Grower

Quote:
woodymdt said:
...I was asking about the reactor...
Try this article - rather lenghty but a good treatment of Co2 - the DIY Reactor design is at the end.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode