Replacing glass on 240...advice? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Got wood???

PTrader: (208/100%)
Replacing glass on 240...advice?

I am getting ready to get this glass ordered to repair my 240 gallon tank and my buddy (who owns a glass biz) asks if I want 1/2 inch tempered or non-tempered for the front. It came with regular 1/2" non-tempered. Which should I go with?

The cool news is its going to cost a lot less than I thought to fix it about $150.00, and the front was scratched anyways so it will look brand new!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 12:08 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Tempered.

Did you ask your buddy how much for low iron glass?

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Got wood???

He didnt know what low iron meant. The rest of the tank is regular non-tempered, will it make a lot of difference?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 05:15 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Starphire Ultra clear glass

Tempered is just a good idea for a big tank. If you don't want it, don't let your kids near the tank. Especially little guys swinging toys.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Be careful with the tempered glass! I have no idea about whether that is used on very large tanks. I do know it's a lot stronger.

But I also know that while non-tempered glass might crack slowly, and might give you a bit of time to fix a bad problem, tempered only fails catastrophically, and all within a span of a fraction of a second.

So for the extra strength, you trade the possibility that a failure might only be a slow moving crack vs. the certainty of losing 240 gallons all within, oh... 2 seconds or less.

I suppose it is a question of "how fast will a tank empty if the front glass just instantly disappears?" - definately watch the "swinging toys"!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Last edited by scolley; 06-15-2005 at 12:30 AM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:46 AM Thread Starter
Got wood???

I think tempered is baked somehow to make it stronger but more brittle. I think we may have to be exact on the measurements then since I don't think you can cut it down to size.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 05:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via MSN to Curare
That's true
once you temper green glass, it's done. you cant cut it, or mess with it any way or it will shatter.

And Scolley's right, it'll shatter in a big way.

We've recenly had a set of curved windscreens custom made for one of our boats, (I'm a marine designer) and you can mess with the glass pretty well while it's still green. cut it, bend it, drill it, etc. but once it's tempered. It's fixed in stone.

...or glass as the case may be.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 08:30 PM

I would personally go with the non-tempered glass.. I dont like the idea of it shattering or not being able to cut it..
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

For the record, I'm not suggesting non-tempered glass. Nor am I suggesting tempered. I don't know the first thing about common practices for tanks that large. For all I know, the extra strength may be considered important enough to risk the catastrophic failure.

All I wanted to do is point out that if tempered glass is used, and if something bad happens, by default going to be as bad as it could possibly get.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 02:35 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I imagine that non-tempered glass will break just as quick. 240 gal, that's a lot of pressure, and while on a 10 gal tank a crack might develop slowly, with that much water behind it I think it will be a similar 2 second experience. (No I don't want to see either event).

My 100 gal tank has a tempered bottom, and my assumption is that the sides are non-tempered.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
I imagine that non-tempered glass will break just as quick.
I'm only quoting the glass fabricators I've spoken to recently. But when we are talking about 1/2" glass, it may crack, and crack badly, you are just going to get water spraying out. Rapidly.

But when tempered glass goes, it explodes. It becomes not there. Because it instantly turned into 10 thousand little unconnected pieces.

IMO that's not the same thing.

Your mention of your tank, with a tempered bottom and normal sides is a case in point. (BTW - that appears to be a very typical configuration. The bottom where so much pressure is, but with little chance of serious impact, is often tempered. It's why I'm building my own tank - you can't drill bulkhead holes in that all too common tank configuration)

The tempering allow manufacturers to lower cost - high pressures are there, but the cost of tempering is lower than upgrading the bottom to a thicker glass. And for the same reasons, tempering the sides would lower the production cost even further - stronger and thinner (cheaper) glass on the sides!

But they don't do this. Why? I can only assume that because the risk of catastrophic failure from impact is so high, when you temper the sides too.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Curare
I should also point out that tempered glass is far less ductile than green glass.

In other words, if the sides bow out on the tank, if the deflection is to great, it'll pop the glass quicker with tempered than with green glass.

Perhaps having a tempered bottom isn't a bad way to go, as usually the're shouldn't be any bowing, as most times it's fully supported.

Like drops of fertiliser into the tank, so are the days of our CO2...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode