DIY CO2 Reactor on timer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 05:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 Reactor on timer

Does anyone use timer on DIY reactor (gravel vacuum type) powerhead to reduce the amount of CO2 being dissolved in the tank at night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 05:53 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to cich
That would work fine. Also, you can run an air-pump on a timer to come on at night to lower the levels, but that's more crude. Just whatever you do, never block the flow of CO2 unless you want your pop bottle to explode :-P
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 07:43 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to Aphyosemion
Yeah, that is the setup I have. While the lights are on, my reactor is running, but when they turn off, it also turns off the pump in my reactor. I don't have a DIY reactor though, I have a Rio, but the premise is the same.
-Aphyosemion

Two 1 GA desktops, a 5 gallon, a 2.5 gallon, a 10 gallon, a 20 gallon, a 25 gallon, and two 75 gallon tanks, all planted.
I am an expert on algae, so ask me if you have questions. I know how to grow it, just not how to get rid of it.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Normally with DIY CO2 excess CO2 is not a problem.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (267/100%)
Simply pluig the powerhead running the reactor on the light timer, you are done.

If gas fills up the tube, simply drill a small 3.16" hole about 3-4 " down from the top and this will allow the CO2 to burp out at night.

Regards,
Tom Barr

www.BarrReport.com

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 11:35 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
One thing you need to be monitoring is that overnight the powerhead might fill up with CO2, and then airlock in the morning when it is starting up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 12:25 PM
pma
Algae Grower

That is an excellent observation Wasserpest - that is exactly what happened to me, I used to run my powerhead on the same timer as my lights and during the night, the CO2 would fill up the column and when the lights came on in the morning - the powerhead would be making all that chocking noises (airlock - I have a prefilter on the inlet, which does not allow the built up Co2 to escape) - so I now let it run 24/7 and since Rex Grigg thinks that Co2 OD is not too much of a concern in DIY set up, I would go with that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 02:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest
One thing you need to be monitoring is that overnight the powerhead might fill up with CO2, and then airlock in the morning when it is starting up.
I use to have that problem with my Rio PH. Ever since I switched to AquaClear PH(to get better flow control), CO2 bubbles just escapes out of water inlet hole.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-20-2005, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pma
.........Co2 OD is not too much of a concern in DIY set up, I would go with that.
This statement might be correct on some setups but not on all. You can build a very efficient DIY CO2 reactor. Since my last mod, I was getting close to 45ppm Co2 concentration and was loosing fish every night.

Now with shutting the PH at night I have not lost any. My angle came back from being almost dead. Its time to buy more fish !!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode