Liquid Wine Yeast (Eau De Vie)?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question Liquid Wine Yeast (Eau De Vie)??

I am sorry if this has been covered, I searched for it, but couldn't find much info.

I recently ordered a pressurized system for my 55 gallon, but for the other 3 tanks (30 gallon, 29 gallon, and 10 gallon), I want to try DIY (at least until I can save up some more $$). I have read a lot of info on setting this up, and I have the system of bottles, tubes, and check valves all built. I have a hagen ladder, a home made diffuser with power head, and a Red Sea CO2 diffuser in hand (figured I would try a few types). I was debating which yeast to use, and finally decided on a liquid wine yeast by Wyeast called Eau De Vie. I ordered 2 pouches, and just received them. Here is where I am confused. I received 2 large metallic pouches with liquid and what feels like a second pouch inside. I think they are called "slap packs" or something like that. The instructions say to break the inner pouch and wait a few days for the bag to swell. How do I utilize this yeast for DIY CO2? After the bag has puffed up, do I open it and dump it into the 2 L soda bottle and that is it? One bag per bottle (expensive, if you consider they were like $6 each plus shipping)? Do I add anything (sugar, water, etc.)? Has anyone else tried this type of yeast that can help me out here?? Maybe I should have stuck with regular old yeast?

Thanks,
Tina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 01:26 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
I think you should have started with regular dry (not old) yeast, three-pack of your favorite brand, for a buck or two, enough for many bottles of blubbering CO2 joy.

I think the additional day or two that you get out of a special yeast aren't worth the added expense.

That's just what I think

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 02:12 AM
Doesn't like Kool-Aid

PTrader: (52/100%)
I'd avoid the liquid wine yeasts as well, Tina.

I have a couple of packages of dry wine yeasts here. I'd mail the to you, but the temperatures are already a bit too warm.

Let me know the next time you come up to NJAS. I'll bring them there for you.

Mike

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro
I'd avoid the liquid wine yeasts as well, Tina.

I have a couple of packages of dry wine yeasts here. I'd mail the to you, but the temperatures are already a bit too warm.

Let me know the next time you come up to NJAS. I'll bring them there for you.

Mike
I already have the liquid yeast, so I will switch to the dry once I use the liquid up. Hopefully someone can help me with using the liquid yeast though, I hate to just waste it!

Where do you buy your dry wine yeast from? I am in Somerset, but I travel to the Rahway area everyday for work. I haven't been able to find any home brew shops so far.

Thanks,
Tina
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-11-2005, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thumbs down Not working!!

Well, No one offered any help on using the liquid yeast, so I went ahead and tried it. According to this website I was to use 1/4 tsp of the liquid wine yeast, 1.5 cups water, and 2.5 cups sugar. I boiled the water and disolved the sugar in it. I then waited until it was totally back to room temperature. Next I added the liquid yeast. I hooked it all up and placed the air line into a water glass so I could see how many bubbles per second I was getting. It is producing nothing. Does it take a while? I have been checking on it for the last 2 hours, still nothing.

So, I decided to try a different recipe (I am also setting up a 10 gallon, so I had another DIY CO2 set-up ready). This time I mixed 2 cups water, 2 cups sugar (recipe from the same website, but the one for dry yeast) by the same method. I then mixed 1/4 tsp. regular bread yeast, 1/4 cup 100 degree water, and a pinch of sugar in a seperate cup. After waiting 10 minutes, I added it to the bottle with the water/sugar mix. Hooked it all up and I have the same result, no CO2.

If you click here and scroll to the bottom, I have taken a picture of the set-ups. The wine yeast (double bottle) is on the left and the bread yeast (single bottle) is on the right. Does anyone see something glaringly wrong with the set-ups? The check valves are pointed the appropriate way (I only mention this because someone will ask).

Is it possible that both types of yeast I have are bad?! Both were kept in the fridge, and the wine yeast is brand new. Am I missing something?! And no, I haven't been indulging on the rum in the background of the picture.

Help please,
Tina
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-12-2005, 03:07 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tina, I've never tried the liquid yeast, but I think it'll work the same way as the dry. You probably won't see any CO2 production ( at least measurable amount )for the first 24 hrs or so. I usually prepare mine and let it sit for a good 24-36 hrs before hookink it up.
Also fill your bottle to just below the shoulder(instead of just 2 cups)

I also use a stronger mix, 1 tsp yeat 1 tsp baking soda and 2 cups of sugar in a 2.5 L bottle.( approx 2 L of water) I typically get 30 strong producing days out a mix.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyg
I also use a stronger mix, 1 tsp yeat 1 tsp baking soda and 2 cups of sugar in a 2.5 L bottle.( approx 2 L of water) I typically get 30 strong producing days out a mix.

OK, I altered the bread yeast bottle to this recipe and I am getting lots of bubbles from it now. In the neighborhood of 54-55 bpm. Is this too much for a 10 gallon tank? This is production from just 1 bottle. Still nothing from the liquid wine yeast. I am begining to think the yeast was bad.

I sent for 5 packets of the dry wine yeast, I read several posts giving it high ratings.

Tina
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
See bottom of page for more info on starting liquid yeast cultures. I would assume that the mixes we typically use would have an even higher sugar content than high sugar content juices, so aeration may be critical. You can proof yeast to determine its viability, but if the slap pack swelled, that should already be confirmed.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talonstorm
OK, I altered the bread yeast bottle to this recipe and I am getting lots of bubbles from it now. In the neighborhood of 54-55 bpm. Is this too much for a 10 gallon tank? This is production from just 1 bottle. Still nothing from the liquid wine yeast. I am begining to think the yeast was bad.

I sent for 5 packets of the dry wine yeast, I read several posts giving it high ratings.

Tina
That's about what I get out of mine at the start. It will slow down to 30-40 BPM in a few days. If you're using the Hagen ladder, this production volume will not cause any problems. The excess will just blow by the ladder and dissipate on the surface.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2005, 03:57 PM

FYI, you could buy a simple manifold for the new pressurized system, and run 4 tanks from one regulator/CO2 cylinder.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2005, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

All of my tanks are in different rooms on 2 floors. I thought about getting a manifold, but I didn't want to run little hoses all over my house. Not to mention, I have 2 naughty cats that LOVE airline hose as chew toys, so I have to make an effort to keep everything hidden from those 2.

I am going to try the second package of wine yeast as it seems to be inflating nicely, Hopefully that will help. The bread yeast mix is still producing nicely, so I am keeping an eye on it to see how long and how consistantly it produces.

Thanks,
Tina

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode