Problems with inline heaters?? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
Problems with inline heaters??

Now i know by experience that this problem pertains to me (with an external diy inline heater housing) but i don't know about people using inline heaters (hydor, etc.).

My co2 reactor/heater housing on the outflow of my eheim 2215, first part is the co2 reactor, then a small piece of straight pipe where i have 2 temp sensors, one for the thermometer and one for the heater. Then water flows into the heater housing. My problem is this: What happens if my eheim turns off? Now i know of the power goes out my heater goes out as well, but what if just the pump stops, due to mechanical failure, clogging, air lock, whatever. Obviously the temp of the small amount of water inmy reactor goes down, the heater turns on and will never shut off because the temp sensor is over than the heater and heat rises. I can't move the temp sensor to above the heater because i think the heater will shut off just as soon as it turns on (the hot water will get carried right to the temp sensor). And moving the temp sensor to the tank won't change a thing, i don't think.

So if the heater doesn't shut off then eventually the seals go on my reactor and the tank (atleast 20 gallons of it) will back flow through the spray bar and onto my floor, into the apt below me, amd my tank falls through the floor (probably not but it might as well if it gets that far).

Anyone have a solution?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 11:36 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Maybe you could move the sensor closer to the heater, still below it, but in the same chamber area?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

i suppose i could, and that might work well. the main reason that i put the sensors where they were is that i didn't want to drill a hole in any spot on the unit that i couldn't unscrew and replace with a part that has no hole.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-19-2005, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
You're not going to like this suggestion, but...

Rebuild the U rig. The inflow on the heater, with the temp sensor, needs to be above the heating unit. This implies that water to be heated comes in from the top, and flows out the bottom. That way when the water stops flowing, the warm water rises to the sensor and shut the heater off.

Another option is to buy one of those "screamer" things that makes the gawd-awful racket when it gets wet, and position it for where it needs to be when you have a bad water day.

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Ah ha, that's the ticket. I don't need to rebuild. It all comes apart, i can operate this as two separate units if i want. It's amazing how i couldn't think of that

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2005, 11:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Cool! Glad it will work out. Your good planning up front is paying off now!

Steve - 33g reef and a 180g planted in need of a re-scape.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode