DIY Spraybar - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Spraybar

I am thinking of adding a spraybar to my sump return. If the PVC pipe is 5/8" how many and what size holes should I drill in the pipe and of course how long should I make it. The water returns pretty forcefully. I just do not want in back pressure and ruin my pump. And how do you know if you have back pressure? Duh.

Has anyone done this?

Thanks,
Paulette

75 gal planted is now a reality!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:35 PM
BSS

PTrader: (12/100%)
I guess the length would depend on how you plan to use it. In my case, I wanted the spray bar running the entire length of the tank. So compensating for the intake and some distance on the other side of the tank, I made mine around 30" for my 36" tank. I'd guess the holes are spaced out every 1.5-2". I started with smaller sized holes. If the spray felt too strong, I just enlarged them until I had a nice gentle flow running the length of the bar.

Oh, and I just took the filter-supplied short spray bar to Home Depot and found the best fitting parts while at the store. Kept me from having to make multiple trips.

No good suggestions on how to determine back pressure problems.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How far down in the tank did you drop your spray bar? I have a overflow box on my tank. If I have it too close to the surface, I will be just filtering the surface. My return is on the left side. I thought about putting an elbow on it and keep it on the left end. I also have a magnum 350 that I want to do the same thing on. I might find this is overkill on filters but that is the way I want to start now. At least the magnum would be filtering from deeper in the tank.

I'm chopping at the bit. Can't wait to get this thing going.

Thanks,
Paulette

75 gal planted is now a reality!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2005, 06:58 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Why don't you drop the spraybar down to the substrate level, in the back of the tank of course, and direct the holes to spray 45deg forward/upwards?

Nothing quite ruins a nice aquascape like a spraybar decorating the back of the tank... moving it down will make sure it's out of sight. Plus it brings some current around the bases of plants, without stirring up the substrate or creating surface agitation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
i had bulit one ,3/4 pvc 12 inch, on the end i use 3/4 hose barr on the top i use 3/4 elbow the a 1in or less to glue another 3/4 to 1/2 elbow threaded an the i use 1/2x1 nipple i didn't want to go all the way down if power outage thats how much water goes into the sump you have to drill a hole just below the water line so that it break the water shipon or else all the water comes out untill it reaches the spray barr, so i had my spray barr about 1/2 or so below the water line and about 38 in long threaded nipple, i drill the holes even across and cap the end i use pipe tape on the other end an screw it to the 1/2 ebow just turn untill you decide what way you want the water flow , i had mine at an angel work great

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode