reactor air pocket! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
reactor air pocket!

Please help ive built a reactor as described on this site but i dont know how to get rid of the 2 inch pocket of air at the top,this developed after a day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 01:00 PM
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)
Reduce the number of bubbles you are injecting. How big is your tank and how many bubble are you injecting? While you are at it, tell us your CO2 ppm.

Sean

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 02:46 PM Thread Starter

Its a uk 29g tank,the co2 is diy and has just been changed so is about 1 bps dont know the ppm yet as ive only just got hold of the kh kit.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 04:53 PM
PT Biologist

I forgot one more question, actually I could ask a bunch but I'm holding back. Which reactor are you talking about?

Sean

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-07-2005, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Stanley,

Read this thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17328

a bit more reading if you have the time: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13395.

The gas collecting is not CO2. More current/flow or a gas release valve is what you will need to get rid of it.

Ted

Ted

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Set up April 2007 -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

- Terminated March 2007 -
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 02:39 AM
PT Biologist

Ted,

It's a DIY CO2 supply. While if you search you can find where I've described O2 supersaturation and the bubble build up in CO2 reactors, I think this might be a different situation. One bubble per second into a 29 gallon tank is a lot and depending on the design he used, we don't know which one yet, it's quite possible he's not getting the CO2 dissolved. But don't go away because if it is what you think, Stanley's gonna need you to help him with that gas release valve.

Sean

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Good point, Sean. We also don't know what he has powering the reactor yet either... Ya gotta give us some info, Stanley .

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I have had this problem as well and it is because of my setup. I have a powerhead providing flow to my UV steralizer and then to my CO2 reactor. When I put the powerhead directly into the reactor, then the pocket is reduced. This might be as simple as just increasing the flow to the reactor.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 03:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i'd like to suggest as a possible fix (assuming it's an internal reactor with a powerhead) is to take advantage of the powerhead's venturi intake, if it has one... if not, then you can basically create your own very simply (thanks to tom barr and his site for this info). put an additional airline connector just like the one used to input the CO2 at the very top of the reactor where the bubble is forming. Connect the other side to either the venturi intake of your powerhead if it has one, or directly into the water inflow if it doesn't. It should work the same either way. The idea is that the pocket of O2, etc will be sucked out of the top of the chamber before it grows too large, and chopped into fine bubbles which are shot back into the reactor... pretty much all of the CO2 should have either already dissolved, or will dissolve during the churning of the reactor... any O2 or other gas will flow out of the bottom of the reactor and up to the surface of the tank to be released into the air. I've mentioned this method on another thread, but I'm not sure I explained it very well... if in doubt, visit the barr report website and check out the diagrams of the DIY internal CO2 reactor. It's all there. Since switching to this method of CO2 injection, my CO2 levels are way up at the same bubble rate, and the reactor doesn't get bogged down with too much gas.

if your reactor is an inline external reactor, then I have no real help other than what was already mentioned... double check your bubble rate, water flow rate, and possibly install a release valve (trickier on an inline setup unless you don't mind a little squirt of water out of the line or possibly having to re-prime your filter)

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

It's the gravel vac with bio balls reactor as shown on this site. It's being powered by a fluval 3 power head.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Oqsy,

This is the first I've heard of using the venturi intake....great idea!

Ted

- Set up April 2007 -

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 12:02 AM
PT Biologist

It is a good idea, I can't use it myself, there is enough back pressure that I have water coming out the venturi when the reactor is in use.

Stanley, can you increase the flow? Will the venturi loop work for you? Could you reduce the number of bioballs to increase the flow throu?

Sean

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

ok first of all thanks for all the replies! OQSY ive done what you suggested and run a piece of pipe from the top of reactor into the venturi ive also uped the flow.Ive done this by removing the piece of filter floss that i had covering the bottom of the powerhead,but i dont want now to have the reactor blocked up with bits of leaves and stuff, should i remove the sponge and bioballs (so any thing unwanted coming in will go out) or will this loose to much co2?
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 10:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Oqsy Send a message via MSN to Oqsy Send a message via Yahoo to Oqsy
i suppose it depends on the length of your reactor tube. my tube has *some* but not many extremely fine bubbles coming out the end in spurts with each small surge of gas that gets pulled into the venturi. the pocket stays small enough that it rarely has a chance to churn out more bubbles, and the bubbles coming straight in from my CO2 source are more chopped up by the current than by getting pulled into the venturi. My reactor is at least 12" long, maybe more, is turned at about 20-25 degrees from vertical, and has a flow around 90 bpm currently. My CO2 stays in the range of 25-35, my fish seem unaffected, algae is barely clinging, and plants are thriving.

Oqsy

Eheim Pimp #171

; Eheim 2217, TurboTwist UVS, Seachem Onyx / Black T-grade ColorQuartz, 2x55w AHS CF, BeverageFactory.com CO2 Regulator with Clippard accessories

"If you ask me, you've got too much imagination. Everything's all loop-de-loops and flibbertigibbets." - Hank Hill
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-10-2005, 01:14 PM
PT Biologist

I use a micro-bubblestone in my reactor, but I think I packed too many bioballs in the tube so I have a lot of back pressure on powerhead. I use the cage from the powerhead filter to 'screen' the intake, without the filter media, which would clog up in a few days on me. It's a big ugly thing that has to come out of the tank for pictures. I still have to clean the small screen on the powerhead once a month or so even with the cage.

Sean

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode