diy co2 on a larger tank ? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
diy co2 on a larger tank ?

Is it possible to do a diy co2 setup on a 90g ? I dont plan on growing anything exotic just easy beginner plants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 11:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
I use a 2.5 gallon jug for DIY on my 75 gallon. I change the the mix once a month. I mix 8 cups sugar, 1 teaspoon yeast and 1 teaspoon baking soda, then fill it with H20. I like using one jug instead of several pop bottles because the likelihood of leaks is cut down. I think this might work on a 90 gallon, especially if the tank isn't high light.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 08:53 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi Guys, the 2 1/2 Gal jug sounds like a great idea ! I'm using 2 2 litre pepsi bottels and run it to the pickup of a Fluval 304, on about a 72 gallon tank (48x18x18) So what I would like to know is, with the use of C02 shouldn't the PH drop? I have been running this DIY rig for 2 days and my PH has gone from 7.0 to 7.2! any ideas as to why is seems to be going up?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 11:25 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Light levels determine the CO2 demands Dean...
Normally on a big tank a DIY mix wont cut it. It could work if you have a good reactor, its "how efficiently" you get the CO2 in the tank that is more important then the source itself. If the mix can keep up with the demand then go for it but without a good reactor on a large tank its usually a waste of time.

The downside of DIY mixes too is the inconsistency of the bubble rate which can make the ph to fluctuate a lot from week to week. Near the end of a mix it slows and on a small tank that is not all that bad but on a large tank it needs to be at its best at all times.

You could start with DIY and until you get up the cash for a better system though... a little CO2 is better then none.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 12:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
If the pH doesn't drop that shows that your CO2 system is not functioning as it should. You either have a leak or a method of dissolving the CO2 that is not working. Or an inadequate supply of CO2.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
I'd also add, that with the amount you will be spending on pounds of sugar in a year, you are probably well on your way to a compressed system.

Sooner or later, compressed will be the option to go with, and I'd go for it now if you can...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode