DIY CO2 Reactor still not working - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 11
DIY CO2 Reactor still not working

I've done everything to ensure that the DIY CO2 reactor i created would work but it isn't. I've silicone'd the caps, made a bubble counter, used a check valve, made the right recipe??(2 cups sugar, 1/2 tsp yeast, 1/2 tsp baking soda), the only thing i'm not sure of is the diffuser, can i just use a regular aistone or do i need some kind of system like a powerhead or something like that? It's just not working and i'm on a tight budget also. So please if you guys have any solutions, please tell me.
Planted_Noob is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:01 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,271
how old is the yeast you are using? if it's fairly old the yeast culture may have died off. Also, when activiting the yeast you should use warm but not hot water. Hot water can kill the yeast, cold water may not activate it.

Your recipe seems reasonable. Does the solution in your reaction chamber bubble? If so then it's producing c02 and is working properly. If that's true then the issue lies along your plumbing system (either a leak in the tubing or a connection). Recheck all your silicone spots.

Also, I tried using a cheap airstone but it really doesn't work. If you search the SNS and potentially ebay you can pick up a glass/ceramic diffuser for under $7 including shipping.

I place my diffuser underneath the output of my HOB filter. That distributes the c02 gas rather nicely throughout the tank. You can also put it under the intake and have the impeller chop up the bubbles more and help with diffusion but it lowers the lifetime of your filter (so probably not the best option).


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nikon Pimp Club #39
AquaStudent is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Wichita, KS
Posts: 1,049
Forgive me, but I have to ask. Are you sure your check valve is in the right way?

Standard 10 Gallon (20 x12x12).
Low tech, Sand substrate.
Eheim 2211, and Aqueon Quietflow 10.
Finnex Stingray LED, 20" above substrate
2 Anubias Nana Petite, Christmas moss.
4 Halequin Rasborahs, 5 RCS.
livingword26 is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
AquaStudent's Avatar
 
PTrader: (10/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Albany, NY
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
Forgive me, but I have to ask. Are you sure your check valve is in the right way?
that is another thing to check


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Nikon Pimp Club #39
AquaStudent is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:24 AM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Westfield, IN
Posts: 1,746
How long are you letting it go before deciding that it doesn't work? Depending on the temperature of your house, they can take some time to get going (12-24 hours.)
jasonpatterson is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:43 AM
Planted Member
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Phillyish, PA
Posts: 222
Any bubbles forming in the mix?
ElBoltonero is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingword26 View Post
Forgive me, but I have to ask. Are you sure your check valve is in the right way?
Yeah lol. I've tested it with my air pump to see if it was the correct way and it is.
Planted_Noob is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaStudent View Post
how old is the yeast you are using? if it's fairly old the yeast culture may have died off. Also, when activiting the yeast you should use warm but not hot water. Hot water can kill the yeast, cold water may not activate it.

Your recipe seems reasonable. Does the solution in your reaction chamber bubble? If so then it's producing c02 and is working properly. If that's true then the issue lies along your plumbing system (either a leak in the tubing or a connection). Recheck all your silicone spots.

Also, I tried using a cheap airstone but it really doesn't work. If you search the SNS and potentially ebay you can pick up a glass/ceramic diffuser for under $7 including shipping.

I place my diffuser underneath the output of my HOB filter. That distributes the c02 gas rather nicely throughout the tank. You can also put it under the intake and have the impeller chop up the bubbles more and help with diffusion but it lowers the lifetime of your filter (so probably not the best option).
I've bought two different kinds of yeast and tested out all the packets to proof it but for some reason, it never foams or bubbles. To proof it i just add 1/2 tsp of yeast and 1/4 tsp of sugar into warm water to proof it. It never foams within the 10 to 15 min. I've also changed the airstone to something different but yea thanks for the suggestions.
Planted_Noob is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpatterson View Post
How long are you letting it go before deciding that it doesn't work? Depending on the temperature of your house, they can take some time to get going (12-24 hours.)
I've let it go for 24-48 hours and sadly no foam or bubbles.
Planted_Noob is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Planted Member
 
shortsboy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (9/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Boston (Melrose), MA
Posts: 255
Your yeast is dead.

When you mix it up be attentive to the temp of the water. If you can't leave your finger in the water for 10 seconds, it's too warm ( this corresponds to ~110-115 deg F). Room temp water works fine for this purpose too. Try proofing a fresh batch of yeast. If it doesn't proof either, find a new store for yeast because they're selling you junk.

It's not a true hobby till it interferes with your "normal" relationships.
shortsboy is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome