how do you build an aquaponic system? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
how do you build an aquaponic system?

Hey guys,
I didnt know to word my question but mainly, I'm looking for a way to make water flow from one tank to another, and then from that tank, into another. I have 3 planted tanks which are outside. I figure the aquaponic system would be something worth trying (minus growing non-aquatic plants). Oh and the catch is.. no electronical device (filter, pump, etc) bcs electric bill is high as it already is.

three tanks: 10g -> 2.5g -> 1g

ALL ADVICE AND THOUGHTS ARE WELCOMED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
There is no magical way to make them flow from one to another to another and back again without a pump. They are aquariums, not boxes of black magic.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do your tanks have filters? Is one of them a canister filter? You could place the return of the canister filter into the grow bed, and have the grow bed drain into the tank. You still need to figure out a way to ebb+flow, but at least your water is being pumped to the right places.

(I'd also make sure I didn't accidentally drain all the water out of the tank into the grow-bed and onto the ground.)

Option #2: Take down one tank, remove filter, replace with pump, restart the cycle using your new aquaponic filter.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 PM
Banned

PTrader: (21/100%)
If you get one pump (for the last / bottom tank) and build some pvc overflows (for the top two tanks) you should be able to do what you are thinking of. To get it all to fit and flow right can be a nightmare though...the weak point will always fail at the worst possible time. Go to youtube and type in aquaponics and that will give you a good place to start at.. Its easy and not easy at the same time.

The Fraternity of Dirt #59

RAOK Club #40

Take me to your
Shrimp
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuereth View Post
Do your tanks have filters? Is one of them a canister filter? You could place the return of the canister filter into the grow bed, and have the grow bed drain into the tank. You still need to figure out a way to ebb+flow, but at least your water is being pumped to the right places.

(I'd also make sure I didn't accidentally drain all the water out of the tank into the grow-bed and onto the ground.)

Option #2: Take down one tank, remove filter, replace with pump, restart the cycle using your new aquaponic filter.
Nevermind. 10 gallon. HOB Filter?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
There is no magical way to make them flow from one to another to another and back again without a pump. They are aquariums, not boxes of black magic.
LMAO true, I wish magic was real though... good laugh and you are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_Z View Post
If you get one pump (for the last / bottom tank) and build some pvc overflows (for the top two tanks) you should be able to do what you are thinking of. To get it all to fit and flow right can be a nightmare though...the weak point will always fail at the worst possible time. Go to youtube and type in aquaponics and that will give you a good place to start at.. Its easy and not easy at the same time.
I like your IDEA and appreciate the advice! I think that'll work and even if something goes wrong, it'll be fun trying to fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsuereth View Post
Nevermind. 10 gallon. HOB Filter?
Actually I do have a HOB filter on it but don't have it runninug bcs i dont want to make electric bill a problem.

wasnt there something people built that syphoned water on its own and transfered it into another tank???
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Water will siphon with gravity... but it won't go in a complete circle.

I think you'd be surprised how little electricity aquariums use.... I bet you spend more money flushing the toilet or doing laundry. I bet it'd cost less than 3 or 4 dollars a month to run the filter you have........................

It'll cost you 50 or 75 bucks to just set up a siphon with a pump to return.

You can drain from one tank to another no problem, but it needs a pump to push it BACK.

Based on tank sizes, there isn't much of a good reason to try to connect them all.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:49 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Water will siphon with gravity... but it won't go in a complete circle.

I think you'd be surprised how little electricity aquariums use.... I bet you spend more money flushing the toilet or doing laundry. I bet it'd cost less than 3 or 4 dollars a month to run the filter you have........................

It'll cost you 50 or 75 bucks to just set up a siphon with a pump to return.

You can drain from one tank to another no problem, but it needs a pump to push it BACK.

Based on tank sizes, there isn't much of a good reason to try to connect them all.
Thank you for the info. When you put things in perspective that way, it makes sense. haha I was worried this entire time that my hobby was causing the electric bill to be high... but now glad to know its not the reason. Also its true that there is no good reason to try and connect all my tanks together but I was debating later on setting up a (x3) 10g system which would have water cycling continuously in order to help my plants (HC, DHG Belem, and Xmass moss) mass produce. If I use a pump, what type of pump works best?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode