TB style CO2 reactor elbow option - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Arv
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
TB style CO2 reactor elbow option

As I was looking for a 1/2 or 3/4 MIP x 1/2 barb sweep elbow I found this CARLON 1/2" 90-Degree Liquidtight One-Piece Fitting
Item #: 116025 | Model #: LN20DA-CTN

http://www.lowes.com/pd_116025-223-L...025&facetInfo=

I know its not meant for water and not as thick as the other elbows but there's really not a lot of pressure to deal with. Plus there's really no sweep elbows available from HD or Lowes so this is the best I can come up with. BTW, where can you buy a sweep elbow on-line, I saw one a while back but I could not find it again.

Its a little bit tight for a 1/2" Eheim hose but heating it up with a hair dyer does the trick. I bet this would be perfect for canister filter using a 5/8" hose.

Though I am using a straight barb for the inlet, I don't think there's a ton of loss from using a regular elbow on the outlet since the water in the reactor is flowing at a lower rate due to the wider 2" or 3" pipe so its not so bad getting cramped at the eblow at the outlet but a sweep elbow would definitely be better. Of course a straight barb would be best but it means you have to raise your reactor a bit therefore adding head height. I haven't tested the differences and am curious if someone has.

What do you think?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-26-2012, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Arv
Planted Member

anyone?
Can someone please tell me where I can find other sweep MIP x barb elbows on-line.
Thanks!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 AM Thread Starter
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arv View Post
anyone?
Can someone please tell me where I can find other sweep MIP x barb elbows on-line.
Thanks!
So....where can I find a sweep elbow on-line?
Thx!

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
check the irrigation section at HD or Lowe's. but consider that you'll lose less flow using a straight outlet fitting, despite increased head. canisters are closed loops, so vertical head has less of an effect on flow. friction from tubing and 90 degree bends decrease flow more than vertical head height.

just took a look at the elbow you're talking about. nice bend in that fitting, curved not, straight 90 degree. you'd have a same situation if you use a straight output because the tubing will have a curved 90 degree bend to get back up to the tank.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesm View Post
check the irrigation section at HD or Lowe's. but consider that you'll lose less flow using a straight outlet fitting, despite increased head. canisters are closed loops, so vertical head has less of an effect on flow. friction from tubing and 90 degree bends decrease flow more than vertical head height.

just took a look at the elbow you're talking about. nice bend in that fitting, curved not, straight 90 degree. you'd have a same situation if you use a straight output because the tubing will have a curved 90 degree bend to get back up to the tank.
I've checked HD and Lowes so many times and no luck. I should check on Ace but they normally have less of a selection ( I think lowes has the best plumbing section).
Good to know that addtl head height has less negative impact than frictional loss with an elbow.

Yeah that's the best sweep that I can find so I'll give it a try then

Thanks for the info!

BTW, is there a link you can point me to where you got this info about head vs. frictional losses or is this something you learned about elsewhere?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Look at sch 80 PVC electrical conduit. I've seen lots of long sweep els there. Most decent Electric/plumbing stores have these.

Steve

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 03:06 AM Thread Starter
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
Look at sch 80 PVC electrical conduit. I've seen lots of long sweep els there. Most decent Electric/plumbing stores have these.
I did and the long sweeps are quite long indeed so might as well just use a straight barb and lift your reactor a bit and you will get less head or just about the same. Plus how do you connect the elbow to the reactor? specially if you have a FIP on the base of your reactor? I don't think there is a threaded long sweep.
Thanks!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arv View Post
I did and the long sweeps are quite long indeed so might as well just use a straight barb and lift your reactor a bit and you will get less head or just about the same. Plus how do you connect the elbow to the reactor? specially if you have a FIP on the base of your reactor? I don't think there is a threaded long sweep.
Thanks!
Use PVC pipe glue and glue any slip x ??? Fitting you want.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Arv
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioaficionado View Post
Use PVC pipe glue and glue any slip x ??? Fitting you want.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk
i guess that could work. But like I said the elc conduit sweep elbows are long so you will end up lifting the reactor higher compared to a straight barb and curved hose. Plus if I glue it its going to be harder to clean the inside of the reactor. I'm acutally using 3/4mip x 1/2 barb so I have a bigger hole in the bottom to ease cleaning. Thanks for the idea.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode