Filter Plumbing Thoughts Requested - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

PTrader: (499/100%)
Filter Plumbing Thoughts Requested

What I have: standard 13mm Eheim hose from 2213/Eco Pro and it is ugly green.

I have tons of same size clear hose from Home Depot and some hand-crafted intake and spray bar pipes for my new 12gal long tank.

I don't want to use the ugly green J pipe and intake but can't find curved clear/kinda clear pipes locally. So what do you suggest?

Is it possible to find two PVC elbows with hose barbs or something that aren't hideous looking? Checked everything at HD & Lowes out today with no luck. Gonna hit the neighborhood hardware stores tomorrow.

I'm not afraid of DIY but don't want to spend umpteen million dollars to craft a couple pipes.

Thanks in advance,

Jake

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:58 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
just a thought, you could fill some of the straight clear plastic tubes with sand.. tape the ends.. then take a heat gun, or a hair dryer i suppose, and heat and bend the pipe to whatever shape you were looking for...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
You lost me with "want pvc elbows, went to HD & Lowes, couldn't find any".
Someone on here was selling clear home-made lilly pipes in the past couple weeks, you might be able to talk them into making more.
See if you have a local plastics supplier. Most places that sell acrylic also bend it.

Always curious.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Lily pipes aren't what I'm after. Though, I did speak with that guy about fabricating sections of pipe. Not an affordable option, really. Was a little spendy.

Am hitting up the local hardware stores today along with a huge plumbing supply firm. We'll see what I dig up.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:19 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jjp2
clear pipe is not typically stocked. You will only see white and grey. You can paint the white to a black which would be less noticable. Sand it and use the krylon spray paint for plastics.

John

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Obsessed? Maybe

Both Home Depot and Lowes here have all kinds of clear and transparent pipe/tube. Just all of it is huge. Still looking through local shops, though. Had difficulty finding small enough sizes in any color, though.

If I don't find what I need, I'll end up making it. Just thought it was worth a shot to ask forumites.

(Black is extremely noticeable without a black background.)

|
|
|
|
|
|
|

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:56 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
If I'm understanding what you're trying to do correctly, I got around the same problem by getting 2 pieces...one a 1/2" pvc pipe to 1/2" female screw thread and then a 1/2" male screw thread to 90degree 1/2" hose barb. Got both at my local ace.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 06:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
i would stick with plumbing firms and see if they have what you are looking for

40 gallon dirt tank
5 Gallon planted bonsai dirt tank
1 Bearded Dragon ''Spyro''
Normal Leopard Gecko ''Shadow''
Super hypo tangerine baldy carrot tail leopard gecko ''Moon''
2 whites tree frogs ''Ying and Yang''
1 Royal Python ''Neptune''
1 Veiled Chameleon '' Yoshi''

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode