DIY semi-automatic water changer - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY semi-automatic water changer

I could never trust myself when it comes to filling a tank with a Python. I'm sure there will come a time when, in a moment of distraction, a number of gallons of water would wind up on the floor (never owned a Python myself but my understanding is that it does not shut off automatically). So this is my plan for a semi-automatic water changer. Simple really: a hose attached under the kitchen sink would act as a gravity fed syphon for emptying, and as a float switch controlled system for filling.

Emptying the tank would just be a matter of opening a series of valves and allowing water trapped in the hose to flow by gravity. The quantity of water emptied is controlled by the length of the rigid pipe assembly hanging over the aquarium edge. A check valve close to the drain would prevent grey water from entering the system.

Filling level would be controlled by a float switch_directly attached to the end of the hose_ connected to a solenoid valve (normally closed) plumbed to my kitchen's water supply. I would use self-piercing valves to connect my system to the existing copper pipes. I am thinking of putting the electrical system on a timer to act as a failsafe in case the float switch sticks. Obviously the system would be controlled by a master switch.

The whole assembly sleeps under the kitchen sink and comes out only when necessary.

Given my very limited engineering skills I would welcome any comments or improvements.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water changer.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	42694  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 09:50 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Looks good to me, although a lot of effort just to prevent overfilling. With similar effort, you could fully automate it. Or, instead of the solenoid/relay/floatswitch/timer, you could just dangle a water alarm into your tank which would start to beep when the water has reached a certain level.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasserpest
Looks good to me, although a lot of effort just to prevent overfilling. With similar effort, you could fully automate it. Or, instead of the solenoid/relay/floatswitch/timer, you could just dangle a water alarm into your tank which would start to beep when the water has reached a certain level.
I thought about the alarm but preferred something that actively closed the system.

I suppose fully automating the system would entail installing a second switch/solenoid combo to control the drain cycle. Given your experience how would you do it ?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode