LED experts??? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
LED experts???

Hey there. I feel like taking a stab at building an led array. I want to light 3 25cm cubes using the LCD sunrise controller from discountLEDs. What would you reccomend for the setup? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Have you got any links to the products you listed? It will make it much easier to help you out, if we knew what you intend to use.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Planted Member

You might want to include a link. I cannot find a discountLEDs.com

Also, I am a little hazy on your cubes. Do you already know what LEDs you want to put on them? Are you just trying to figure out the controller?

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Do you want the lights to rest on top of the tanks, or be suspended above the tanks? How far from the substrate surface do you want the lights to be? Do you want to be able to use "high" light in the future, or is this for a much more reasonable 40-50 micromols of PAR? Do you want to avoid the complexity of cooling fans and expensive heatsinks? Is the appearance of the light fixture important to you? Do you want a lot of "shimmer", or just a little, or none? What sign of the Zodiac are you? (Gotta be comprehensive!)

Hoppy
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry guys I found the site on the main forum page at the bottom. It's a sunrise/sunset controller with an LCD screen. It has 4 channels and can power 3 10w LEDs per channel or you could have drivers on each channel. The cubes are 25cm optiwhite. There will be three of them. I'll post a link if you find it when I have the time. Thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah hoppy I was hoping u'd hop in on this erm well I want med/high light. I want I nice shimmer not used to this mircomols stuff! Was all about the WPG when I was doing planted. Height can be what ever you recommend for light spread and what not. I don't want fans or expensive heatsinks but it has to look good and aries x
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
From your description it sounds like you're looking at the Dim4 controller. IIRC Ledgroupbuy sells that controller and it's capable of running 3 leds per channel for a total of 12. If I did the metric to SAE conversion correctly, your 3 tanks measure 10"x10"x10" and 3 leds (XPG's, XPE, XML ect..) per tank should be adequate. I don't remember the drive current off hand, but I suspect it's less than 1000ma. Hoppy's really good with all the PAR figurin', maybe he could "run the numbers" for a more accurate assessment?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

That's the one yeah they run at 500mah max so no need for extra drivers I like this!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If you use Cree XP-G LEDs, 3 per tank, spaced 3 inches apart in a row across the middle of the tank, raised 6 inches above the top of the tank, with 2 inches of substrate in the tank, with 500 mAmps of current per LED, and with 60 degree optics: You should get about 65 micromols of PAR at the substrate and about 150 micromols at the water surface. That would be medium to high light, probably more light than you will want to use. So, you can use the dimming control to reduce that lower. With only 3 LEDs you will get lots of shimmer if the water surface is at all rippled.

At only 500 mAmps of current, you don't need a great heatsink or any cooling fan. I would use a piece of 3 inch by 1 inch by 1/8 inch thick extruded aluminum channel, like what you can find on Ebay, one seller there is Online Metal Supply, but there are other internet stores that sell aluminum extrusions. You can mount the LEDs on the inside surface of the channel, and the "legs" then act to shade your eyes from the LEDs. If you like the look of polished aluminum you can make this look pretty good too. Of course you would mount the drivers somewhere other than on the heatsink.

Hoppy
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks hoppy. Just what I needed to know just need to make that controller look good may go for 4 tanks now aswell
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypostamus View Post
Thanks hoppy. Just what I needed to know just need to make that controller look good may go for 4 tanks now aswell
Unfortunately, I can't recall any Aries who was able to handle LEDs successfully. Sorry

Hoppy
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 05:14 AM
Algae Grower

We have never been called discount leds! Thats a first. The controller your are looking at is http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/dim4-4-po...ntroller-v1-0/

It can run 4 channels of 3 LEDs in series up to 500mA. So 12 LEDs in total. Each channel can be individually dimmed to do a sunrise/sunset. Alot of people use one of the channels for moonlighting. No "programming" involved, just set start/end times

We are also a sponsor so if you ever need help with it, shoot us a post on the forum.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode