DIY CO2 + drop checker - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY CO2 + drop checker

Hell all,
I am having a speck of trouble with my new co2 yeast reactor.

It is in an ocean spray bottle I added 2 cups sugar, i packet yeast and a pinch of baking soda. Noticed that it was producing a ton of bubbles So I divided by 2 and refilled the balance with water. I am using a standard glass diffuser.

My question is what is an appropriate rate for the bubbles in my bubble counter, right now it is about 2-3 bps and my drop checker is light green indicating that the water co2 level is too high. The liquid was blue. now it is light green, hence why I backed off the initial co2.

My second question revolves around the drop checker. I bought this kit from http://www.fish-street.com/products_...er&search=+Go+

Has any one used this one before, and can attest to its accuracy? It tells me to put 7 drops of the solution it comes with and then about 5ml of water (I put in some water that I have in jugs waiting to be used in a water change, it has had dechlor put in it when i filled them up a week prior, will that effect the measurement?)

Any suggestions, advice, or elephants?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 01:04 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Just diluting the mixture won't slow the CO2 production. It'll make it faster, if anything. There's still the same amount of sugar for the yeast to munch on, and now there's less buildup of alcohol to inhibit it.

Using brown sugar or jello both seem to be effective at producing a more controlled and steady output of CO2.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply!,

I am confused, a dilution would be to take yeast x and add it to water y, increasing the volume but keeping the amount of yeast the same.
want I did was to take the yeast and then divide by 2 then add water, thus dividing the total amount of yeast in half this cutting the reaction rate in half.

I will try some brown sugar and see what happens.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Planted Member

Yeast reproduce really quickly...they can double the population in as little as 90 minutes (though kept around room temperature probably closer to 4 hours). Regardless they won't be dependable for limiting the rate of CO2 production.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ah, I see, thank you.
So halving the population does pretty much nothing due to their rate of reproduction.
You said that diluting the population would speed up the reaction, what if I added less water? Would that slow it down?

Does sugar effect rate? or does that only effect duration?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
You mentioned you used a whole packet of yeast? That's quite a bit I must say. I would only use about 1/2tsp.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh really? Woops.

I will have to fix that.

The latest update is that the yeast reaction lasted only 3 days before dropping off to practically no bubbles at all. I will a whipped up a new batch with less sugar, guess I will change that one out for one with less yeast and see what happens.
I also will get some pure cane sugar.

Thanks for the help =)
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by james0816 View Post
You mentioned you used a whole packet of yeast? That's quite a bit I must say. I would only use about 1/2tsp.
Agreed.. I usually use 1/2 to 1 tsp in mine.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity of Dirt #72
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Dropped the yeast in the bottle down to 1/2 tsp, Definitely an improvement its been going strong at about 3/4 bubble per second for a couple days now.
The indicator solution is still blue, so I think I will up it to 3/4 a tsp with the next batch and see if that makes it a nice green color.

Thanks for the help =)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 07:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (115/100%)
Here is a link for Diy co2 duration and intensity.
http://www.aquatic-eden.com/2006/09/...intensity.html
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Planted Member

More yeast really won't equal more CO2, again they reproduce very quickly if there's room and food for them to do so. If you want more CO2 you'll need either more bottles or a better way to dissolve the gas into the water.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (49/100%)
For the dc-
You will need to put the indicator in 4dKh solution. Regular old tap water will not show the correct colors. Drop checkers work by showing the ph of the solution. This changes as co2 offgasses into the dc, but with wate instead of a set solution it will never be accurate. Try googling for filling drop checker for more info
Matt

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40B High Tech Tank - 10g Shrimp and Moss Tank

Tags
co2 bubble counter, co2 diy, co2 help, co2 indicator, co2 levels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode