Glass thickness for an 8'x2'x2' tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
Glass thickness for an 8'x2'x2' tank?

Alright, so the tank won't be full, it'll be and emersed tank with about 6" of water, so obviously, it won't need to be as thick as if it were full.

I want to up my game and turn my 75g emersed into a desert reptile tank of some sort (Really want a blue tounged skink...) and double my emersed tank's size.

With my calculations, it'll hold a mere 60g (maybe less). I know for a lot of tanks, that might be quite a bit, but with it spread over such a large area, it shouldn't be that big of an issue, right? I'm thinking 1/4th thick should suffice, but I want your guys opinion. It'll also be a pleco breeding tank, I think that with as much room and peat soaked water, the will be just fine

What if I up the width of the tank to 36"? I want this thing to be massive and hold lots of plants

-Caton

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Should I maybe get tempered glass?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:49 AM
These pants? are fancy.

PTrader: (272/100%)
I'd go with 1/2 inch glass just in case you want to fill it with water in the future.... I mean, it's worth the extra few dollars!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
Since Emmersed tanks are rarely about the "show" and more about growing healthy, plants, I would use smaller tanks, not bigger. More control, easier to light, etc, etc, etc.

I think you really underestimate how much an 8x2x2 tank would cost to even make yourself. There is more than one reason you don't see them all over..... Building a cheap stand for a tank that size would easily run a few hundred dollars. I think if just 2x2's, screws and glue it could easily run 120 bucks for just the stand.

The glass, easily well over 300 bucks if you do it right. 8' sheets of glass aren't cheap or easy to handle. I built a few 5 foot tanks and it was a nightmare. Building 10 gallon tanks is nothing in comparison.

If your goal is to pump out plants, a rack of 40 breeders is a better fit. Or other such height tanks. Easy to light and good size still. That or tubs. I use rubbermaid stock ponds for shrimp growout and they would work fine for plants.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
Since Emmersed tanks are rarely about the "show" and more about growing healthy, plants, I would use smaller tanks, not bigger. More control, easier to light, etc, etc, etc.

I think you really underestimate how much an 8x2x2 tank would cost to even make yourself. There is more than one reason you don't see them all over..... Building a cheap stand for a tank that size would easily run a few hundred dollars. I think if just 2x2's, screws and glue it could easily run 120 bucks for just the stand.

The glass, easily well over 300 bucks if you do it right. 8' sheets of glass aren't cheap or easy to handle. I built a few 5 foot tanks and it was a nightmare. Building 10 gallon tanks is nothing in comparison.

If your goal is to pump out plants, a rack of 40 breeders is a better fit. Or other such height tanks. Easy to light and good size still. That or tubs. I use rubbermaid stock ponds for shrimp growout and they would work fine for plants.
I completely understand what you are saying, when I say emersed plants, most people think it's an industrial way to grow plants. While yes, this is partially true, I love my emerged tank more than any Of my other tanks. I've done the math, and for the same space except with 40g breeders, its going to cost significantly more due to lighting. With an eight foot tank, l would only need two 48" lights. I might fill it, but given the fact that I built it, I don't know if I would trust It unless I used hecka lots of silicone (which I will still do).

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 03:26 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Plant Man View Post
I completely understand what you are saying, when I say emersed plants, most people think it's an industrial way to grow plants. While yes, this is partially true, I love my emerged tank more than any Of my other tanks. I've done the math, and for the same space except with 40g breeders, its going to cost significantly more due to lighting. With an eight foot tank, l would only need two 48" lights. I might fill it, but given the fact that I built it, I don't know if I would trust It unless I used hecka lots of silicone (which I will still do).
Lighting is irrelevant. You can just as easily span the same lighting over multiple smaller tanks.. Taking the 40 breeder as an example you can have 5 of them side to side to give you your 36" depth & it would be pretty close to a full 8' long (90 inches based on the standard 18" side for the 40 breeder, but since you would actually have the edges as well it will be a bit bigger then that in reality).

The only place the multiple setup would cost you more is in filtration. And even that can be argued depending on what your putting in there.

37g w/ eclipse 3 planted Betta sorority
29g w/ eclipse 3 planted shrimp & snail tank
20 gallon long divided into 4 planted betta condo's
7.9 gallon fluval flora planted
6.6 gallon tall planted mini sorority
3g eclipse betta tank
2g hex betta tank
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastage View Post
Lighting is irrelevant. You can just as easily span the same lighting over multiple smaller tanks.. Taking the 40 breeder as an example you can have 5 of them side to side to give you your 36" depth & it would be pretty close to a full 8' long (90 inches based on the standard 18" side for the 40 breeder, but since you would actually have the edges as well it will be a bit bigger then that in reality).

The only place the multiple setup would cost you more is in filtration. And even that can be argued depending on what your putting in there.

Ah, didn't think about putting them side by side. Still, however, wouldn't it be really cool to have an 8ft emersed tank? Disregarding the costs.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
1/4" thick, 8ft long.... Wouldn't want to bump into that...You would want to have a top frame for sure
Overbuild=Peace of mind

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
I think what you are calling an "emersed tank" is really your idea of a terrarium or riparium. It's a way to grow plants, but it's also something you want to be and look really cool. I think if you have the space and resources, it would be really awesome. And I agree that overbuilding=peace of mind. I'd want 1/2" glass at minimum, just in case. Remember, it's not just supporting the weight of the water, it's supporting the weight of the glass itself.

When I can no more stir my soul to move, and life is but the ashes of a fire
When I can but remember that my heart once used to live and love, long and aspire
Oh, be thou then the first, the one thou art, be thou the calling, before all answering love
And in me wake hope, fear, boundless desire.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:14 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
You can build it out of plywood to cut down cost. The cover can be thin glass or plexiglass. Only the front is glass. Wasserpest has a thread on that I think.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (25/100%)
I personally would not go any less than 3/4" and I think that's only if you really, really had to but will feel much safer with 1" or 1.5". 8' is really long.

But that's just me

Dan
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taari View Post
I think what you are calling an "emersed tank" is really your idea of a terrarium or riparium.
Not quite.

I want to do this;

I think I am going with 1/2" glass. I don't plant on filling it, but if I at least want to do a turtle tank it'll be thick enough.

A plywood tank might actually be an option and I will most definitely consider it.

Thanks guys! Now I just need to research, research, and save save save to make this happen

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
If your only intent is to put emersed grow out plants into it, I can't think of 1 good reason to build an 8x2x2 tank and spend 600 dollars and 50 hours doing it only to stare at something with little aesthetic value.... I think you miss some other things.... an 8 x 2 x 2 tank is couch sized. Moving it will be next to impossible. If not impossible.

I think to do this with a glass tank and a stand, you could easily spend 800 dollars. A commercial version of a tank this size would run over 2000. For growing emmersed plants, why would you ened it to be 2 foot tall? I really think you'd be better served by several tanks side by side. Derimmed 40b or 20L.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Nerd Alert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverStocked View Post
I really think you'd be better served by several tanks side by side. Derimmed 40b or 20L.
Possibly. I know people who are in the glass business who can get me a good deal. People buy ADA 90-p's while you can get a 40g breeder for 1/10th the price. This is still a work in progress, just forming the idea. I know the hazards, and I know the risk, how its going to be hard to move. I will most likely become a turtle tank later on. Besides, if I spend $800 to build it, get it set-up, etc, it will pay for itself by me selling the trimmings.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I made a 3'x3'x2' rimless turtle tank with 1/4" glass. Only had about 6" of water in the deep end. Held up fine until I bumped against it during one of my clumsier days.

Steve

:

:

Never argue with a fool. Onlookers often can't tell the difference.
Growing older is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My advice is free and worth every penny.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode