Diy Rimless built. Did I screw up? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diy Rimless built. Did I screw up?

So I just finished putting together a rimless Starphire tank with scs1200 silicone.
The dimensions are 70cm long x 45cm wide x 40cm tall.
According to various online sources I convinced myself that 6mm glass would be good enough. Now I have it filled nearly 80% and the front and back are starting to bow slightly and I am sketching out. I also wiped the glass and the water inside really started sloshing around.

So far there are no leaks but I am worried that one day it may pop apart or burst a seam.

Am I worrying too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 01:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Mine is 90x45x40cm I went with 10mm glass. I read that 8mm was recommended but I went to 10mm.

I think you are to thin for that size.

Maybe if it was a 45x45x40 cube you'd be safer.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 05:05 AM
Planted Member

I believe my Mr. Aqua 60x30x36cm rimless is 5mm thick. It might be 6mm but I used some old, un-calibrated callipers to check.

Most people in this hobby will overbuild for peace of mind. Especially for a tank or stand. If I were you, I'd consider getting thicker glass cut and rebuild, just to be safe. In the meantime, you could water test this tank for a few weeks to be certain and then make a judgement call.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Nerd Alert.

PTrader: (74/100%)
A Riparium might be in your future.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #12
Wabi-kusa Pimp #1
"99% of the time, a fish tank with plants will fail. Once you start a dedicated planted tank with fish, then you begin to succeed." - Geniusdudekiran
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I measured from outside to outside in the middle and it is only bowed roughly 1/16"

That doesn't seem too bad?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (89/100%)
I wouldn't worry as long as you're confident in the build quality. If it's a clean silicone job, no reason that won't hold. The ADA tanks are 6mm, and the older ones used 5mm glass.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yeah, but ADA makes their glass from ground chunks of prehistoric meteorites.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:10 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Starphire glass has a lower iron content than cheaper types of glass, that's why it's so clear. That also makes softer and easier to scratch or break. I would go with a minimum of 8mm to be safe. 6mm will hold just fine IF you never bump it or drop a rock in it or knock over a peace of driftwood when it is full. Can you be sure none of those things will ever happen?

Erick
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2012, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Starphire glass has a lower iron content than cheaper types of glass, that's why it's so clear. That also makes softer and easier to scratch or break. I would go with a minimum of 8mm to be safe. 6mm will hold just fine IF you never bump it or drop a rock in it or knock over a peace of driftwood when it is full. Can you be sure none of those things will ever happen?
Anecdotal... Low Iron glass isn't any weaker as far as I know and there is certainly no proof I can find, it may scratch easier, but I'm not even sure about that.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode