prjct92eh2's 5.5 gallon GU10 El Ee Deez - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-19-2012, 12:56 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (29/100%)
prjct92eh2's 5.5 gallon GU10 El Ee Deez

Ever since my fiance and I moved to Colorado last September, I've been on a strict aquarium budget until after our wedding in May. Since I had to break down 2 of my 3 tanks for the move, this has lead to something we all can understand...a very big urge to tinker. The only tank I have left is my 5.5 gallon shrimp tank. My sore point on this tank has always been the light. It was a stock 10 gallon T8 (i think) fixture just sitting on top of the tank. Since this tank is on our kitchen counter, i've always wanted something a little "cleaner". Here is the before (a very old before):

After reading a thread on a nano reef forum, I decided to look into GU10 base LED bulbs. This would be a cheap improvement with better looks, aka high WAF factor. Unfortunately I didn't take many pics of the construction, but all you need is sockets, wired in parallel, and bulbs. All of these parts were bought off eBay. Here is the final result:

Mounted to the bottom of the kitchen cabinet

View from the kitchen

FTS

Inhabitants

My final parts list:
  1. GU10 sockets X3 ~ $3
  2. 3X1W "cool white" (~6700K) GU10 base LED bulbs (optics removed) X3 ~$15 total
  3. cheapie extension cord from wally world ~$3
  4. misc. electronic supplies (soldering iron, solder, etc.) ~already had

The bulbs came with 30 degree optics which caused too much "spot lighting", so i removed them. I'm currently trying to track down some 60 degree optics that may fit to reduce the amount of light spill. Anyway, let me know what you think. Overall this was a very easy project and i might try it on the 10 or 65 gallon when i set them back up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
very nice! I think it looks very clean minus the wires haning..you should put them through the cabnet also..but thats just my preferance..either way it really looks a lot better and brighter! Hmm i need something like this also! are those lights growning you plants just as well as the t-8? Keep it up, much inspiration!

-=:Sketch804:=-

Fluval pimp #31

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 05:42 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Can't see pics

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The tank has lots of potential, the plants and shrimp look lovely.

The lights look like they'll do their job too.

I think a little bit of tidying up (I'm English: What I actually mean is; 'a complete rethink on how the equiptment is placed, and where the wiring runs') will turn the tank into a stunner.

Never have I seen a tank that more screams 'de-rim me now' more loudly than this does! Now the light is off the top, losing that top black plastic trim will make it look awesome

These are just my thoughts, I suspect you enjoy your tank wonderfully as it is, and that is how it should be.

create random acts of beauty...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch804 View Post
very nice! I think it looks very clean minus the wires haning..you should put them through the cabnet also..but thats just my preferance..either way it really looks a lot better and brighter! Hmm i need something like this also! are those lights growning you plants just as well as the t-8? Keep it up, much inspiration!
you can't see them unless you purposely bend over and look at the bottom of the cabinet. There is a small lip on the cabinet that hides them, too. They are growing plants great! Need to re-do my dosing plan now since plant growth has picked up and caused some GSA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosenart View Post
Can't see pics
hmm, try again. Works fine for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvawispa View Post
The tank has lots of potential, the plants and shrimp look lovely.

The lights look like they'll do their job too.

I think a little bit of tidying up (I'm English: What I actually mean is; 'a complete rethink on how the equiptment is placed, and where the wiring runs') will turn the tank into a stunner.

Never have I seen a tank that more screams 'de-rim me now' more loudly than this does! Now the light is off the top, losing that top black plastic trim will make it look awesome

These are just my thoughts, I suspect you enjoy your tank wonderfully as it is, and that is how it should be.
You're exactly right on all points. I had the same thought about de-rimming the tank, i'm just afraid to do it while occupied. The equipment is tricky in this one since all my filtration is air powered and therefore bulky. I do plan on painting the back black, which should help camouflage the equipment better.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Hey either way looking great! Ya I fig'd they couldn't be seen unless you really tried ha! I might have to try those out since you say they're great for plants also! hmm..thanx!

-=:Sketch804:=-

Fluval pimp #31

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
That looks gorgeous.

My tank:

my shrimp tank

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Nice setup you got going there, and welcome to the fugly state of Colorado lol. I've lived here my whole life, born and raised lol.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

haha thanks! Seller "wellparts" on e b a y sells 60 degree optics that fit these bulbs perfectly. Got a set on one bulb to try out and ordered another set to do the other two bulbs. A set of $5 runs about $3.50 shipped.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode