How far from CO2 inlet for pH probe? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Send a message via MSN to jhoetzl
How far from CO2 inlet for pH probe?

OK, so my Heyco "samples" arrived and I want to get the ugly yellow probe out of my tank. Given that I have my reactor on the outlet of the eheim, how far before the reactor should I place my pvc t based probe holder...I would think that if I placed it a few inches in front of the reactor's inlet I wouldn't get skewed results, but anyone have any input/data on this...

Here is what is lurking under my tank at the moment:

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-12-2005, 06:51 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
OK, here's my take. You won't get skewed results from placing it any where between the filter outlet and the reactor. However, not knowing how the probe holder is engineered, you might want to mount it so that air doesn't get trapped around the probe.

I've worked with inline probes for 15 years in biotech manufacturing, mainly in the purification of proteins, and I know that inline probes are used mainly for monitoring trending data, meaning, for real-time analysis of specific operations. They're not used for processing decisions, i.e., for controlling other equipment to control the parameters of the fluid in the piping.

When probes are used to control a pH change in a tank containing a cell culture or dissolved protein, the probe is always in the tank, where it can take a broader sample and react more quickly to the whole of the solution rather than a small sample of the whole going through a narrow tube. We also use probes without the plastic sleeve, so that flow is laminar around the probe tip.

Depending on how large your tank is, my concern is that the inline probe will react more slowly given that it's not sampling the whole tank, so it will be calling for more CO2 when the setpoint may already have been reached in the tank. Resulting in overshooting the desired pH setpoint. I guess it also depends on how fast your CO2 flow rate is and big your reactor is.

It's worth a try, definitely, but you might need to tweek the system a bit to get the control you want. It would be good if you can mount the probe holder so that you can pivot the tubing to get any bubbles caught in the tip of the probe out. Also, how do you intend to check and maintain your probe once it's installed?
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 01:56 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I've got ball valves on either side of the tee holding my probe to make it easier to pull out and recalibrate. Remember the probe is supposed to be kept vertical.

Well, at least my algae is pearling...

Last edited by zapus; 04-18-2005 at 02:00 AM. Reason: addition

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode