10g DIY Inline Reactor/Filter - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
10g DIY Inline Reactor/Filter

Hello PT.net!

I have this idea floating around in my head for the filter/reactor for a 10g, and I can't help but share it with you so that you can help me plan it.

My idea goes as such: two 12" columns of 2" PVC Tubes are set up behind the tank. Water enters the system at the top of one column, which is built like a Rex Grigg style reactor (ie empty), exists at the bottom of that, ascends through the next column which is built like a filter: sponge through the first half, biomedia though the next 1/4 and filter floss though the final 1/4. I figured making so that one screwed off would make it easier to clean, especially if I had a quick release between the reactor and filter. The water then exists from that column and returns to the tank by means of a spraybar. Whole think is powered by a pump/powerhead.

I've been looking at the Maxijet 900. At 247 gph @ 0 head, it might be a bit strong for the tank. The next step down, the 400, is rated at 106 gph and might be too weak, and also cannot be used externally like the 900. I'm not sure how well the 900 will respond to being throttled, so I'm still unsure as to what pump to use.

Crazy, I know. A cheap sunsun would probably be easier, but much less satisfying to make. Has anyone ever made a setup similar to this, or have any observations/recommendations for this type of a setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
The filter will plug up pretty quickly. You will have a two inch diameter of particle filtration, where with a canister filter you would likely have more than 10 times as much area. If you omit the filter floss and just use a fairly coarse sponge and the bio media, it won't plug as fast, but also won't clean the water as well.

Hoppy
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 05:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is this quickly compared to normal canister or compared to a normal filter for that size? I was basing the design partly on AC filter trays which have a similar filter area.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-15-2012, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Most canister filters send the water through progressively finer filtration. Filstar filters have a large area of relatively coarse sponge that removes most of the particles, followed by trays of filter media, one with finer sponges to remove the rest of the particles. Yours wouldn't have any large area filtration, so everything gets trapped in the 2 inch diameter filter.

Filters which use disposable cartridges, normally use filter media which is folded to get a large surface area, and is made of "paper" which traps the particles throughout the thickness of the "paper" instead of just on the surface.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode