Diy co2 2l bottles - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Diy co2 2l bottles

how long do you use the soda 2L bottles for your DIY CO2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
Can you give more information please? Are you talking about how long does the Co2 last, or are you talking about how long do people use the DIY before they buy an injection system?

Because I've used the DIY method for years, but as to how long does it last before you refill the batch, mine lasts for around 3 weeks for each batch of the Co2 before I refill the bottle with new yeast and sugar.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

LOL... sorry

i meant literally, how long do you use the same 2L bottle for your DIY co2? I'm just curious as to the reliability of the bottles under constant pressure, even though they were built that way... i think.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I use the same bottle until the cap gets stripped lol, so I would say I change the 2ltr bottle about every 3-4 months. But I'm a soda freak, so I always have 2ltr bottles around.

If you do the "Co2" system right, as in I use the inlets from air diffusers on my bottles, then seal them with GE Silicone I so no air can escape from the bottles. All of the "Co2" has to go through the inlets and into the air line tubing, I build mine with a separate gas chamber bottle, this way if any of the mix/liquid gets into the air line tubing the gas chamber bottle will catch it, letting only the Co2 itself go through to the tank. Then I use a check valve between the gas chamber bottle, and the aquarium so encase there's a mishap water can't flow back into the DIY setup.

Here's my setup with gas chamber.

15g Fluval Flex - Will be a planted shrimp tank
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx View Post
I use the same bottle until the cap gets stripped lol, so I would say I change the 2ltr bottle about every 3-4 months. But I'm a soda freak, so I always have 2ltr bottles around.

If you do the "Co2" system right, as in I use the inlets from air diffusers on my bottles, then seal them with GE Silicone I so no air can escape from the bottles. All of the "Co2" has to go through the inlets and into the air line tubing, I build mine with a separate gas chamber bottle, this way if any of the mix/liquid gets into the air line tubing the gas chamber bottle will catch it, letting only the Co2 itself go through to the tank. Then I use a check valve between the gas chamber bottle, and the aquarium so encase there's a mishap water can't flow back into the DIY setup.

Here's my setup with gas chamber.
WOW! I'm going to now go and try your technique. Good info!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 09:36 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Isn't it called a bubble counter? Or am I mistaken it with something else?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:47 PM
Algae Grower

A bubble counter is the same setup, only filled with water, and with one tube almost to the bottom of the second bottle. It's purpose is to give you a visual as to how much CO2 is being produced, and it is measured in bubbles.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2012, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

haha thanks for the responses. i guess no one really knows how long the bottles/caps themselves last but i guess a month is more than reasonable.

a tip i found extremely useful was to make the hole smaller than the size of the airline tubing so that you don't have to silicone the caps. makes it much cleaner and in my opinion, safer... no leaks on my end ever.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Also, the bubble counter also serves as a filter, just in case the yeast solution escape the reaction bottle, the bubble counter will buffer it, without the yeast going into the tank and possibly killing animals.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode