Oh boy! Another DIY Co2 question! But I'm scared... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Oh boy! Another DIY Co2 question! But I'm scared...

I know there's a lot of these, but I am now worried about my safety...

After getting annoyed with leaks on my old 2L soda bottle, I changed to a 1 gallon jug. The plastic feels thicker than a 2L, but that's purely guesswork. Anyway, I had the 2L driving a ceramic diffuser (pre-leaks), this one specifically. Well, now I have the 1 gallon running (yeasting?), but I've yet to see bubbles. the checkvalves are functioning AND in the right direction, 100% sure. there are no leaks, because, and this is why I'm posting, the jug is bulging ominously. I've moved it into a 5 gallon bucket with a towel/heavy book on top, but I'm more than a little terrified of this monster at this point. Any suggestions for maybe "loosening" up ceramic pores? Also, what kind of back preassure am I looking at until this things showers my room in beer? It's a 1 gallon Arizona Tea jug...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well the reason people say use soda bottles is because they are designed to be under pressure. Other jugs aren't designed to contain the pressure of CO2 soda.

20g platy, , 2 x 10g shrimp, 3 x 20g shrimp, 7.5g shrimp and 1 great dane/mastiff puppy.

Sump Pimp #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 02:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeToChKn View Post
Well the reason people say use soda bottles is because they are designed to be under pressure. Other jugs aren't designed to contain the pressure of CO2 soda.
+1 on that, soda bottles are very basic "pressure vessels" that can withstand a significant amount of pressure (100+ PSI). (http://www.spudfiles.com/forums/2-li...re-t22156.html) When it comes to pressure vessels, the wall thickness isn't as important is the shape is. Big flat surfaces are notorious for exploding, curved and rounded is what you want.

In all honesty, If you're serious about doing CO2 I would suggest looking in to a pressurized system. I literally haven't thought about my CO2 in over a year (all hail the 20lb tank! ). The upfront cost is a little steep, but long term it's the only way to go.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 03:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Yeah, I know, I'm just a sucker for diy stuff.

Well, The bottom of the jug, which is thick and reinforced with hard plastic bands going crossways, suddenly flipped itself inside out, and loudly. After my heart attack ended (the tank and jug are right next to my computer), I pulled the diffuser and bled out the pressure (into the tank. Why waste delicious Co2?). I'm talking SOLID co2 air jet for about 3 minutes. Now I'm back to the ol' airstone under the filter intake. I think I let the diffuser dry out and all the pores are mucked up and basicly fused into one solid rock. I'll soak it for about a week and give it another go. Better luck next time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Get rid of that ceramic diffuser and buy a hagen mini elite pump and feed your co2 into the venturi of it, then the output to an elbow into a fluorescent lightbulb protector tube..

Wait - I will make you a drawing!

For about 15 bucks you got a terrific "diffuser" for your CO2.

Many people have done more elaborate mods to this basic design. For you, it does two terrific things. It eliminates back pressure on your bottle, and it dissolves way more CO2 than those ceramic things.

How's that?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
hmmm, suction from venturi into a flexible walled vessel? That's asking for trouble.
how good are you at cleaning yeast mix out of your tank?
it's not a case of if, but when.

You get the same result feeding the co2 into the inlet of the pump, have the impeller chop it, and then blow it through your diffusor unit with no risk of the venturi effect coating your entire tank with white slime.

I've done that whole yeast clean up thing and it's no fun.
I now have a fire extinguisher/regulator DIY setup with no worries or mess.

create random acts of beauty...
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 01:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Have you seen the size of this pump? To have a venturi collapse a bottle it would have to be quite a bit more powerful than this little $10 pump. You can feed the line into the intake of the pump. Plenty of people have done that too. Google will reveal lots of them. It just makes a lot of racket.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode