?? Low volume, high head water pump for vertical garden - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
?? Low volume, high head water pump for vertical garden

I'm working on a concept for a decorative vertical garden and I'd like to plan a way to push low volumes of water up pretty high (~8'). It would be great to find something nice and compact and with 12V operation.

What do you think about something like this?...

Swiftech MCP355 Watercooling High Performance Pump Equivalent to Laing DDC 12 volt DC Pump

I think I have read that those CPU water cooling pumps need to run with very clean water. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of pump? I wonder if I could keep the reservoir water nice and clean with a fine filter screen(?).

Thanks for considering this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You could consider taking a pump that is more powerful than you need and running the water through smaller outflow tubing - you'll get less flow and more head.. I think.
Something to do with velocity.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
You probably want a positive displacement diaphragm pump though - they run slower but have more Torque so to speak.
I think most of them are DC though, but still not a bad thing.
EDIT: On second thought I think positive displacement pumps are super loud.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
It really depends on how you distribute the water once you get it to it's destination. Actually 8 feet is pretty high for most pumps. Even a pump that does 200 gph at 3' can stall at 8'.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I'm working on a concept for a decorative vertical garden and I'd like to plan a way to push low volumes of water up pretty high (~8'). It would be great to find something nice and compact and with 12V operation.

What do you think about something like this?...

Swiftech MCP355 Watercooling High Performance Pump Equivalent to Laing DDC 12 volt DC Pump

I think I have read that those CPU water cooling pumps need to run with very clean water. Does anybody have any experience with this kind of pump? I wonder if I could keep the reservoir water nice and clean with a fine filter screen(?).

Thanks for considering this.
are u trying to copy me??

The pump is a very nice pump however it has a massive head pressure compared to what ur normally acustomed too.
In contrast... its not a ehiem... these guys will slaughter ehiems in head pressure... ie how high the water stream can shoot.
They work great in high restriction environments...

When i hooked it up, its spraying water a lot further then my sunsun filter is...

I have a specialized housing to keep the pump cool and an aftermarket top so i can change out barbs...

And here is my setup with purigen:

And if u need a higher jet stream... u can always tandum them with a dual top:

you get net 2x head pressure + 1/3rd additional flow...
;P

with an aftermarket top it comes out to about 1.7-2 gal/min.... so for Gph x 60 on a single pump unit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naekuh View Post
are u trying to copy me??

The pump is a very nice pump however it has a massive head pressure compared to what ur normally acustomed too.
In contrast... its not a ehiem... these guys will slaughter ehiems in head pressure... ie how high the water stream can shoot.
They work great in high restriction environments...

When i hooked it up, its spraying water a lot further then my sunsun filter is...

I have a specialized housing to keep the pump cool and an aftermarket top so i can change out barbs...

And if u need a higher jet stream... u can always tandum them with a dual top:

you get net 2x head pressure + 1/3rd additional flow...
;P

with an aftermarket top it comes out to about 1.7-2 gal/min.... so for Gph x 60 on a single pump unit.
Many of us have/had systems with pumps that push lots of water. That's really not that hard to do . But what you're saying (at least it's what I think you're saying) is that these pumps can deliver 60 gph at 8' head? Or.....?

It would be cool if you could take a vid of your reactor in action.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Many of us have/had systems with pumps that push lots of water. That's really not that hard to do . But what you're saying (at least it's what I think you're saying) is that these pumps can deliver 60 gph at 8' head? Or.....?

It would be cool if you could take a vid of your reactor in action.
actually its not 8 feet head...

its more like 6m head... or 20'
Nominal head (@ 12 V) = 20.2 ft (6.1 m)

now u understand what i mean about massive head pressure.

I have an Iwaki RD-30 that can do 34 feet of head... lolol... and yes ive played with it by firing a stream of water into my neighbor's yard... him and i were ROFLing when we saw that..
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a few of these pumps in use in my computers, I would not advise running anything but distilled water through them. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of people have had a lot of failures even running liquid color dyes and such, let alone water with fish waste and fertilizers / minerals.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwolfe View Post
I have a few of these pumps in use in my computers, I would not advise running anything but distilled water through them. In fact, I'm pretty sure a lot of people have had a lot of failures even running liquid color dyes and such, let alone water with fish waste and fertilizers / minerals.
actually no...

the reason for failures are other reasons...

Most of the cause is due to the pcb itself overheating and then frying.

Hence why i have a full metal shell with heat sink on them.

The impeller is steel, and there is a small shaft.. not the typical shaft with a ceramic bearing on top.

Its classified as a mag drive pump.

As long as u dont get any fine particulate matter stuck between the impeller and the plastic housing, id say your fine.

And trust me on these guys... i have 4 running in my current PC + 2 D5's... A total of 6 pumps on 3 independent loops.

<--- likes overkill... :X
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

If I read that graph correctly, at 20 ft you're getting about .05 gpm. Not to beat a dead horse or anything ;-)

Yea I was thinking of the Iwaki 100 RLT I used to use on my ETSS 1400 back when I was doing reef...grin

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode