Hydroponic/ Plant filter with Eclipse 3 hood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hydroponic/ Plant filter with Eclipse 3 hood

A year or so ago I saw an aquarium with a built-in top filter, complete with terrestrial plants, gravel and sand as the filter medium. It looked like a well built kit, and I have been intrigued by the concept ever since. While I have seen several diy systems incorporating a hydroponic grow/filter system with an aquarium, I have yet to see anything attractive. I wish I could find the link to that manufactured system, but until then I continue to dream up a design for my 32 gallon tall. My idea is to trim out the back cover on a Marineland Eclipse 3, and fill both the filter tray and bio-wheel section with stones and gravel to grow plants out of. With suitable over-spills drilled or cut out, is there any reason this wouldn't work?
This thread is giving me ideas too...

4/26/2012, lost the finest man. Rest easy Pops...
<--Great Danes are people too!
180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
32g tall eclipse3, fluval403, with a handful of bristlenose plecs.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Not necessarily a show-stopper, just something to be aware of: I am currently in the process (slowly, due to time issues) of replacing my E-3 hood because the rascal has been periodically running a cup or two of water down the back of the tank onto the floor. I also have to run a fan on it because it's bad about running condensation down the same place. It seems that the area of the back wall of the hood just to the left of where the impeller sits offers a mite too continuous a path to the outside of the back aquarium wall. :shrug:
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You made me go check mine... Haven't had that problem with it in several years of running. What I don't like however is the wide glass brace on this tank gets absolutely covered in algae-ic slime due to always being wet from filter-splash. Naaasty.

180g, Fluval FX5, 404, 128watts t-8, low tech, heavily planted, with Albino and reg bristlenose plecs, Congo tetras, Amanos, a herd of Corydoras Sterbai, Boesmanis, a big old common plec, & Otos.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 02:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I think you could do that better with the largest Aquaclear HOB. I'd pull all the media, fill it with those clay balls use in hydroponics and plant it. It would be very simple & clean.

The Aquaclear HOB has maybe the biggest filter media box available.

I've considered that for myself.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2012, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Actually, I did consider an Aquaclear, I recall seeing someone do something similar with one. The reason I'm interested in the Eclipse is because I already have it on the tank. My first rule of DIY- use what you have first, save your money for tools

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode