Riparium Waterfall Idea - Need Some Input - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
Riparium Waterfall Idea - Need Some Input

Trying to conceptualize this idea for my 30 riparium. I'll be using a canister filter as the source, pulling water from the aquatic side and transfering it over to the terrestrial area. I'm envisioning a waterfall coming down the side and flowing towards the water side over the barrier.

With the canister as the source I know I'll have to pool the water somehow prior to coming out of the waterfall, otherwise it will have enough force that it will simply blow the water across the tank. I'm thinking about piping into a piece of PVC pipe with a cap on the bottom and then overflowing from the PVC onto a rock structure, then using foam to create a river flowing toward the divider.

I've done some looking on the internet, but haven't really found anything that fits. Anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?

Here's the tank as it sits, the wall is River rock and pond foam;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Here's how I did mine. The "water column" as I call it is in the last picture. I just cut some acrylic sheets to the right size and siliconed them in place, then used great stuff, silicone and eggcrate to fashion the land parts. The best part is that I can shove the UV filter and heater in the water column so there's less stuff in the actual water

http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums...Ts-and-fishies
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! Looks like you brought yours over the top and down? I'm hoping to bring mine in through the back wall and bring it up rather than down. That way I can keep a tight lid on the tank.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 07:59 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Yeah, the water goes over the top of the lip of the tank, down through the UV filter, then up and over the falls. The design, apart from making it easy to hide the heater and UV (and slow the flow of the water), also makes dry ferts really easy to dose. I considered drilling holes for the same reason as you, having a tight lid, but it seemed to be too much hassle for little benefit. If you look carefully a couple of the pics you can see the green craft mesh I had to stick in the top of the waterfall to keep the frogs from getting out. But even with the opening there and another air opening at the other side of the back of the tank it stays about 70% humidity inside.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks - I'm going to try and stay with a screen top in order to keep humidity down, we'll see how it goes. My hope is to be able to grow some mounted orchids in there.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:18 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
I'm hoping to bring mine in through the back wall and bring it up rather than down.
If you bring it into the bottom of a slightly largish chamber (a hunk of 2" or 3" PVC, for instance), that would reduce your flow velocity so it doesn't fountain on you. Bring it in one side aimed across the chamber and that will induce tubulence, further reducing velocity. You might even be able to put a heater inside such an "expansion chamber" if you cared to.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, that was similar to my thought process. I picked up a piece of 1 1/4" PVC pipe last night to try it with, which may prove to be too small. I was think bigger originally, but that is the largest size Home Depot had precut, and I didn't need an 8' piece.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You might consider alternate vessels than actual PVC, a small plastic pitcher or large cup might work. After all, if there's a leak at this point in the plumbing, it's not a big deal, right?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
You might consider alternate vessels than actual PVC, a small plastic pitcher or large cup might work. After all, if there's a leak at this point in the plumbing, it's not a big deal, right?
In this particular case, it actually is. My goal is to have a completely dry terrestrial area in 1/3 of the tank (which is where the waterfall will originate), and the other 2/3rd of the tank will be a riparian area. My thoughts at this point are on a cold water riparium. I'm tenatively planning a sump area and a chiller as part of the overall system.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I see what you mean. I was thinking in terms of any leakage just flowing to the water area, but you're after a specific affect. You could probably still find a non-PVC chamber that you could leak-proof, but that would prowly require some experimentation.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeap. I think regardless of the chamber I end up with, even PVC its going to require some experimentation. I'll start with the PVC and see where it goes from there. The idea of a plastic pitcher (if I could find a small enough one) isn't a bad idea - it would come premade with a spout. I'd just need to establish a water proof connection of some sort. Off to play with my PVC pipe.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, sure, where would the fun be without some experimentation?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Trial #1

Indeed!

Alrighty then after some thought, discussion, more thought, research, more discussion and a lot more thought, here is what I've come up with so far.

The unassembled parts and pieces for Trial #1;

Few required glues and solvents;

And the assembled prototype;

Unfortunately I was incorrect on my estimate of the size of the tubing off the ZooMed filter, so for this trial I'll be using a maxijet powerhead. Should give me some idea hopefully. Just have to wait for the glue to dry and lunch time to come along now!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode