Drift Wood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Question Drift Wood

Hello. I decided to "harvest" my own driftwood for my new tank. I found an amzing piece, and it is huge. The only problem is that it was about 2 miles away. After carrying this thing for 2 miles, I come home to find it won't fit in our oven, or into any of our pans so I can't put it in boiling water. It wasn't waterlogged yet, so I stuck it in one of our horse's water troughs (the only place big enough to put this thing!). Now, how do I go about killing the bacteria? I just found it in a neighbors creek, and after being in the water trough, I don't think it is exactly sanitary. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rick

Rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
You could pour boiling water over it and give it a good scrub.

But honestly I wouldn't worry about it too much unless the stream that you found it in is really dirty. Even just a good hosing and a scrub should be fine.

Is the tank set-up with fish already? If not then just put it in and do a bunch of water changes to flush it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
+1 to tharsis's comment. Fish tanks aren't particularly sanitary either.

I don't know how huge "huge" is, but if you have a plastic cooler that is big enough to hold the wood, you can put it in there and pour scalding/boiling water over it until it's covered and let it soak for a day or two. It should waterlog and leach out a whole bunch of tannins with that treatment. I'd be more concerned with aquatic pests than the bacteria though, honestly. Your horse trough might work as well, but that's likely got a much bigger volume and won't hold the heat as well.

One thing that you'll want to watch out for is that if your tank water is substantially different from the water you're soaking the wood in (RO vs a high GH/KH well, for instance) then when you move the soaked wood into your tank you're essentially adding most of its volume in the undesirable water. I did this to one of my tanks and managed to create a pH spike that caused my bumblebee shrimp to drop their eggs. Very frustrating.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
hose it down and scrub it with a stout brush and it should be fine. you might get this cotton looking stuff on it for a bit, its just fungus and will go away after a while.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your Driftwood Question

Hello ferre...

If you lived in a tropical climate, then you might have a problem with bacteria. This time of year in Ohio, it likely gets down to the freezing point. The piece has obviously been out in the elements for some time during the colder weather, so any bacteria that may have lived on the piece during the summer has long since died.

My planted tanks are full of pieces I've picked up locally and I just rinse them off real well with the power nozzle on my garden hose and let the piece dry for a few days outside in the sun. Then, into the tank. You'll probably need to weigh it down with rocks too. That's what I did.

B

"Fear not my child, just change the tank water."

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode