Help me DIY a used canister w/ pump. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 01-31-2012, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Help me DIY a used canister w/ pump.

I lost my link to using a pump to work a canister filter. The concept was to use the pump to flow water. My question is, how does it get connected? The external pumps only show one tube. How's it all work? I investigated using ball valves, but not sure how it hooks up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I'm not overly familiar with external pumps in general, but when I've looked into them they seem to be of this type, or occasionally an inline configuration instead. In any case, there is an inlet and an outlet. You'd connect them to whatever sized tubing you need via adapters from whatever sized inlet/outlet they have. Sorry, there's just no way to be more specific than that without knowing what you're interested in buying as a pump and which canister you'd like to drive with it.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want to do though, what do you mean by "using a pump to work a canister filter" and "use the pump to flow water?" I take it to mean that you've got a broken canister that you'd like to continue using via a new external pump. Is that the case?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 02:08 AM
Banned

PTrader: (9/100%)
Do you mean using the pump in a sump?
I build my canister filter using 2x 5 gallon bucket with the pump being in the bottom bucket.
It run and work more like a wet/dry canister filter.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yes. My canister motor is broken. I want to use a pump to make it useable again. I've been reading links about how to do, but w/out a diagram or photo, I'm confused. I read that an external pump can be used. I looked at the products in the store and online. I only see 1 hose outlet, not 2, like the LFS salt tank shows. So I'm wondering how 1 outlet is going to attach to a canister tubing line.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
All pumps with have an inlet and outlet. Not all pumps can be safely run externally. What flow rate are you looking for? I've run several sizes of Mag drive pumps external and they all have threaded connections.

Personally though I'd just replace the motor/head unit or buy a new canister so maintenance would still be easy.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
All pumps with have an inlet and outlet. Not all pumps can be safely run externally. What flow rate are you looking for? I've run several sizes of Mag drive pumps external and they all have threaded connections.

Personally though I'd just replace the motor/head unit or buy a new canister so maintenance would still be easy.
I know it'd be easier, I just like to torture myself with hard projects I know nothing about. LOL
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Wannabe Guru

Then you need to research where the pump should be placed, on the input or the output side.

On the input side you might be pressurizing the canister (leaks) and the output side you might restrict the pump (cavitation).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresh.salty View Post
Then you need to research where the pump should be placed, on the input or the output side.

On the input side you might be pressurizing the canister (leaks) and the output side you might restrict the pump (cavitation).
The research I've read favors the output side to "pull" water out of canister.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

OK, just don't oversize the pump.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
Yes. My canister motor is broken. I want to use a pump to make it useable again. I've been reading links about how to do, but w/out a diagram or photo, I'm confused. I read that an external pump can be used. I looked at the products in the store and online. I only see 1 hose outlet, not 2, like the LFS salt tank shows. So I'm wondering how 1 outlet is going to attach to a canister tubing line.

If its only got one barb/connector, its not an external pump. Still, you could use a submersible, it would just have to sit in the tank/sump, and pump water into the cannister.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

It's hard to say without having done this or looking at the canister filter, but if you are willing/able to sacrifice a little of the media space, you may be able to stick the pump/powerhead in the canister itself, and connect the pump output to the canister output.

Might want to see if you can remove the impeller from the canister, since it's not working, it will only slow down your flow rate.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Conley View Post
If its only got one barb/connector, its not an external pump. Still, you could use a submersible, it would just have to sit in the tank/sump, and pump water into the cannister.
Indeed, though this type of pump still has an inlet, it's just not ready to have plumbing connected to it.

Even if you do find a pump that you like that has an obvious inlet/outlet, you can't use every pump externally. A submerged pump will overheat in the air and burn out fairly quickly.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

mmmm.....

Is the unit sealed? Did you want more flow? Im lost in why ur taking a old canister housing and wanting to DIY it...

I use Colder Quick Disconnects on my DIY canister...
They look like this... push off, and push on...
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naekuh View Post
mmmm.....

Is the unit sealed? Did you want more flow? Im lost in why ur taking a old canister housing and wanting to DIY it...

I use Colder Quick Disconnects on my DIY canister...
They look like this... push off, and push on...
What pushes/pulls your water? I see DIY spraybars.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-03-2012, 04:02 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
What pushes/pulls your water? I see DIY spraybars.
well my unit is completely DIY...

i took parts which are industry / PC hobby related and meshed them together..

Basically i had spare parts for PC watercooling, and threw them in a way which would work...

This is my water polisher with purigen.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode