Cork bark backgrounds - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Cork bark backgrounds

has anyone made their own corkbark backgrounds? These things look great. Does anyone have any tips on making one.

40 gallon SeaClear Acrylic, 192 watt Orbit Lunar PC, Filstar XP2, Filstar XP1, JBJ Regulator, Rhinox 5000 glass co2 diffusor, 9 watt UV sterilizer, Hydor Inline Heater, Pool Filter Sand substrate
Filstar pimp #53

How comes shoppings so stupid, looks at all this stuff I haves, what do I do's with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 04:21 AM
Pia

PTrader: (1/100%)
Well, there are lots of options when it comes to cork.

You can buy corkbark flats at a lot of local fish stores or terrarium supply stores. The "flats" aren't actually flat, however, since they are taken right off the tree. They look the most natural but they are also more difficult to attach. http://www.blackjungle.com

You can also get corkbark tiles from someplace like http://www.thecorkstore which are typically 12"x12" panels of natural corkbark that have been flattened into panel form. These look great and are easier to attach, obviously, since they are nice and flat on the back.

I've heard that people using the above two versions of bark will sometimes spend some time with a file or sandpaper to work down the sharp edges of the wood to make it look more weathered.

There's also cork panels, the stuff people use to make notice boards, available at places like Home Depot, Ace Hardware, Lowes, etc.. They come in two colors- the usual "tackboard" brown color and a darker version. While they aren't as natural looking as actual corkbark, they still look really great as a backing, especially the darker version, and they are a lot cheaper than the other stuff.

Cork will float pretty much no matter what you try, so to keep it on the back of your tank, you'll have to silicon it in place. Just make sure to use aquarium safe sealant or your fishies won't be too happy.

Best of luck~
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 11:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Pia's post was excellent. I have a cork background made from cork bark flats purchased from the Cork Store (see her link). They are near 2" thick in places, so I used a band saw to thin them down before making my cork wall. It was a lot of fiddling to fit the stuff, and I suppose those bark tiles Pia mentioned would be far easier to deal with, but twice the price as well. Two of my pieces floated up a month or two after setting up the tank, and I had to use wallboard screws and more silicone to fix it, so judicious use of silicone is good from the get-go. One major caveat- the cork bark will shed more detritus in your tank than you ever thought possible, so expect to spend about twice as much time on maintenance at water change if you want to keep things fairly clean. I am adding a second filter to my tank to try to deal with the excessive amount of floating particles generated by the bark. It looks stunning, and I always wanted to do this, but I never will again unless I do a paludarium.

James

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 09:50 PM

PTrader: (2/100%)
Could someone post a pic of these wonderful backgrounds in a tank, oh please? Before I get the glue out? The stuff looks like it'd be ultra cool!

Thanks,
Fig

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode