First DIY CO2, nervous about gassing fish. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 04:52 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
First DIY CO2, nervous about gassing fish.

Hey so my tank is a 29 gal planted with amazon swords, crypts, and java fern. I set up the jello co2 today and within about four hours I have a steady 1 bubble every 2 seconds. Have a airstone as a diffuser right below the hob filter intake. My concern is the fish. I have neons, mollies, pair of rams, corys, and some amano shrimp.

I don't want to gas them out. I run a long air tube thing for aeration and my biowheel makes some good surface agitation.

I guess my question is at what point should I worry about killing my fish with co2 if at all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
You won't with DIY Co2.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:23 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingHellFish View Post
You won't with DIY Co2.
Seconded. With a generic glass/ceramic diffuser, you'd need an absolute minimum of maybe 6 of the yeast reactors you have, in order to gas your fish. Probably closer to ten of them.

With an Atomic-style diffuser, and a JBJ-style bubble counter, 3 bubbles per seconds sends fish to the surface in my 25g setup. And you don't have an Atomic diffuser (a DIY yeast reactor won't do that much pressure).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 05:29 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmo911 View Post
Seconded. With a generic glass/ceramic diffuser, you'd need an absolute minimum of maybe 6 of the yeast reactors you have, in order to gas your fish. Probably closer to ten of them.

With an Atomic-style diffuser, and a JBJ-style bubble counter, 3 bubbles per seconds sends fish to the surface in my 25g setup. And you don't have an Atomic diffuser (a DIY yeast reactor won't do that much pressure).
yeah i really wouldnt worry about it, im running 4 2 liters on my 40b, i change one out every week, and i have no probs. also at night i run my ar stone on massive air pressure to give the plants o2 at night and to pretty much purge all co2 form the water. if by any chance u see ur fish at the top gasping for air get that stuff off asap. and creat as much o2 as possible. almost killed everythign in my 10 gal with 2 2liters that were 2 weeks old... was nice though cuz all the snails let goe of what they were on and were at the top so i got a bunch of them out
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 06:31 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
I'd be more concerned about premature failure of your filter's impeller due to running your co2 through it.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #58

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #20
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah I'm a little concerned about ruining my filter but I do have a glass diffuser in the mail.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode