10 gallon diy background - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
10 gallon diy background

in the past i had a diy background on a custom biuld 75 gallon cichlid tank but now im doing one on a 10 gallon planted. when i did my last one i used quickcrete and drylok, what im wanting to know is if anyone has ever used just styrofoam made smooth and detailed and then painted it with krylon fusion spray paint. ive already started the shaping and will post pics later
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

so i have some pics here of my progress and i ended up using quickcrete and ill be puting on a few coats of drylok. sorry i havent got many progress pics but heres what i have so far. the little blob on top is going to be a rock
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	40555  

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	40556  

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Are you putting channels for the filter in/out behind or through that, or will they fit over your background?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2012, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

there actually is a cut out in the back for the intake and it will take water in from the opening in the bottom that i made between the root design
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

here is a pic of the finished product just need to silicone it into the tank and do a ton of water changes. let me know what you think.

my plant for this tank is a 10 gallon shrimp haven, flora will be a dwarf hair grass carpet and a small peice of driftwood with moss on it and probably moss wall sides
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	40748  

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 06:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
That's nice... I just did one for my 55gallon and finally after 3 weeks the ph is going down.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Planted Member

The colours turned out beautifully on that! Nice job all around. How onerous was the quickcrete on a project that size?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i actually do concrete for a living so its probably the easiest part of the project for me, i made 2 coats loose enough to use a paint brush then a little thicker for the third almost peanutbutter consistancy, wait a miute or so and take a damp paint brush and run it over everything, this kinda flatens it all out. last one final brushable coat and done
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i have a cople different lights im debating on first is a 24" 23 watt t5ho, second is a standard desk lamp with a 6500k 23watt cfl, and third is the factory canopy which i could buy 2 cfls for. the reason id like to use the factory canopy is to slow the evaperation but i dont know about the light i can get out of it.

im planning to do a dwarf hairgrass carpet but i wont be running co2, how will this work? i could use excell but i heard that it can kill shrimp. would the excell be safe at recomended or less dosing?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

here are a couple pics of where im at
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	001.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	40821  

Name:	002.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	40822  

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	40823  

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

no suggestions on light or excell
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgfish View Post
i have a cople different lights im debating on first is a 24" 23 watt t5ho, second is a standard desk lamp with a 6500k 23watt cfl, and third is the factory canopy which i could buy 2 cfls for. the reason id like to use the factory canopy is to slow the evaperation but i dont know about the light i can get out of it.

im planning to do a dwarf hairgrass carpet but i wont be running co2, how will this work? i could use excell but i heard that it can kill shrimp. would the excell be safe at recomended or less dosing?
T5 lights are too much for a 10 gallon tank. And, a desk lamp will not give you nearly enough uniformity in lighting - only the middle will get much light. By far the best idea is the factory canopy with a pair of 13-15 watt CFL bulbs. DIY CO2 would be a very good idea, and Excel would be an acceptable alternative. Don't dose "too much Excel" - just do the 1 ml per 10 gallons dosages. CO2 inhibits breeding by shrimp, so that might make Excel a better choice.

You have a very nice looking tank now, with that background. If I had your artistic ability I would try something like that for a 65 gallon tank.

Hoppy
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks alot hoppy for the reply so that is what ill go with the factory canopy and excel, i just dont trust diy co2 even in a larger tank. do you think the dwarf hairgrass will grow fine
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

You have a very nice looking tank now, with that background. If I had your artistic ability I would try something like that for a 65 gallon tank.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the compliment, you should go for it its actually quite easy just time consuming
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 PM
Planted Member

yeah, I keep asking questions because I'd love to give this a try, but would have to get the sign off from She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed before I can make that kind of mess. The shadows you get off the 3D are just awesome.

I'm with Hoppy (always a safe place to be) wrt lighting choices. A tank that shallow doesn't need tons to make it to the bottom with enough power. Given the available power of cfls I would think your hairgrass should be ok.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode