Need help with hanging lighting fixture from ceiling(updated with pic) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help with hanging lighting fixture from ceiling(updated with pic)

SO as the title says, I need help hanging my Hagen Glo 36inch aquarium light fixture from my ceiling. Does anyone know How to even approach this or have an DIY links or pages I can look at?

I'm having trouble figuring out how to make this work. I want it to be done right and be safe.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by BlazednSleepy; 01-20-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So since no one has responded yet I'm gonna tell you what I'm going to do.

I'm going to purchase a ceiling hook package that comes with butterfly anchors. Then Im going to buy a small size long chain and hang the light fixture from that.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
That should work. Just check the anchor rating for your thickness of drywall and make sure it will be strong enough.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

37G Oceanic "Cube"

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
You'd be safer if you can find locate the ceiling beams and put 2-3 inch wood or drywall screws into those. Butterfly anchors will also work so long as you never lean on the light.

Always curious.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)
use zip anchors bro... they drill right into drywall and support a lot if weight. i use the zip anchor and a clised eye hook. i'll look for the specs and post pics in a bit

“Goodness is the only investment that never fails”

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
The trouble with most ceiling is the josts never seem to be in the right place.

I'm not sure of your DIY skill set. Lets start with position. Get you tank where you want it first. Take a string with a weight like a steel washer tied to one end. Hold the string to the ceiling above the tank with the washer dangling down. Position the washer the spot were you think you want one end of the light fixture. then mark the spot on the ceiling where you are hold the string with a PENCIL...never use ink on a painted wall, repeat for the other side.

I like to keep my lights a bit behind the center line of the tank. Most of my planting is there vs. the front glass and I think it's easier on the eyes to view.

Once you figure where they go you need to know whats behind that drywall. The easiest way is to use a 3" finish nail and a hammer. Gently hammer the nail in the drywall, most dry wall ceiling will be 1/2" if the there is a joist behind the dry wall you'll feel it after the nail is 1/2" in.

The joist will be apps 1 1/2" wide if there is a joist right over the tank, them you can use an eye hook and screw it right into the joist. tThat will be very strong. If not you can use the butterfly anchor.

A stronger approach would be to find two joists and attach a 1"x3" painted board to them (Think track light, trank). Then you can eyebolt two the board. this is nice if the joist don't line up perfecty for your tank lay out. As long as you get two screws into the two joists it doest matter how the board is attached, it could be 8" over on joist and 12" over the other. BTW most joists are 16" center, center of the 1 1/2" board is 16" to the center of the next one.

Last edited by DogFish; 01-20-2012 at 11:48 AM.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

dogfish totally broke it down... but this is what zip anchors look like. i like them cuz usually the joist is mever where i need them to be, therefore you could drill right into the center of drywall and the anchor will support some heavy loads. here are the pics

Sent from my iPhone
Attached Images

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hotlinked from McMaster-Carr, here are your other options for drywall anchors:

Always curious.
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So I got back from Lowes and I think I found what I needed.

One part might not work But ill give it a try tomorrow.

Now the part I'm not really sure about yet is the biggest S hook you see in the picture fitting around the white hooks WHILE being crimped shut. It was the only size I could find that looked like the end of the S hook would fit through the chains link.

And thank you guys for responding. I will for sure use that method of measuring Dogfish. Thank you.

But if This does work out good then I think it's gonna look really nice with the smaller type chain holding the light up.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefisherman View Post
... this is what zip anchors look like. ...

I've used those at work in walls, they do work good if you install straight and true.

You are very correct josts are seldom where you need them. That is always the case when you are running wiring.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

"Now the part I'm not really sure about yet is the biggest S hook you see in the picture fitting around the white hooks WHILE being crimped shut. "

Do all the work, hang the light but, don't crimp that end around the white ceiling hook...YET.

Go back to the hardware store and get a 1" steel ring or a "quick-link"both will be where they sell chain. Crimp that s hook onto the ring. If you buy the quick link you won't need the s hook at all.

I think the quick link would look better. Either will be under $1 ea.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Or use an s-hook and just never crimp it shut. I do agree though that quick links do look nicer.

Always curious.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you Dog fish. Im gonna go back tomorrow and see what they have. A lot of stuff was out of stock so I might have to drive over to the home depot. hopefully they sell small ones.

And jcc

I can do that but for my piece of of mind I'd rather know something is secure and not gonna slip for any reason.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

And If I do find a small one. Atleast 3.5mm, I can just use the small S hooks to blend with the chain itself even better.
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 03:42 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i don't like S hooks, i like closed eyes and locking grabs... i have a 3yr old nephew that loves to watch the fish if ya get my drift lol

Sent from my iPhone

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode