Question about CO2 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-16-2012, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/90%)
Question about CO2

Idunno, maybe this is a stupid question but...lol
I'm going to set up a DIY CO2 bottle and I've read that you should only inject CO2 when the lights are on, but how do you turn it off? Do you just take the cap off and let the CO2 escape into the room?

Also, I just read that you can add baking soda to the yeast and sugar mixture to help buffer against pH drops. Anyone do that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 12:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (87/100%)
You cant turn DIY CO2 off. Just leave it in the tank all night. It's very unlikely that DIY CO2 will be strong enough to cause any problems.

Regards,
Robert

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

48G Rimless Mr Aqua
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

37G Oceanic "Cube"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:34 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (37/100%)
^what he said (unless you have a tiny tank and a, say, 2c/1tsp sugar/yeast ratio.) Don't unscrew, your sugar jar will empty itself even faster. Baking soda does help some. There's a ton of different formulas. Just hunt around for one and experiment.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 05:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was going to do the 2C sugar, 1/2Tsp Yeast, 1Tbsp baking soda and see how that turns out. I know I'd lose all the gas opening the container, but I didn't know it was safe to leave it running and I know you can't just stop and start the chemical reaction at will. lol I won't be starting until next week when my 48W light comes in.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (19/100%)
I'm planning to set up a DIY co2 mix and had planned to have the bubbles go into a powerhead to diffuse them. I'm going to put it on a timer though so the powerhead shuts off during lights off...that way most of the bubbles escape into the air instead of being diffused. Then when lights come on again. more co2 is diffused and available for the plants.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Two cups of sugar is more than baker's yeast can convert to CO2 before it dies from alcohol poisoning. In my experience 1.25 to 1.5 cups is more reasonable, anything above that is wasted. You can verify for yourself by tasting (not guzzling!) the solution when it stops producing CO2. If you detect anything more than a very slight hint of sweetness, you're adding too much.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2012, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Cobra, I'll take the sugar down some. I got the recipe from here
https://www.plantedtank.net/articles/DIY-Yeast-CO2/7/ with the exception of the baking soda which I found on the web and it called for 2C sugar and only 1/4tsp yeast.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode