My new co2 diffuser - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My new co2 diffuser

Just wanted to share, and I posted this in a couple other threads, my new co2 reactor/diffuser. Over christmas my nephew got these little hexbug toys. I saw them and *bing* I had an idea. I took that container, used a fitting that was being thrown away from an anesthesia circuit from work, and connected it to a mini elite powerhead.

I decided to go this route cause I didnt want little tiny bubble or gurgling in my tank. It is working out pretty good so far. The only downside, if your co2 flow is too great, it will airlock the powerhead. I only had that problem when I started it and let too much co2 in. I dont have the flow turned up all the way on the powerhead, so if thats an issue I am sure you can turn it up to push the co2 down more and prevent that.

There are a series of holes drilled in the bottom of the container near the floss to let the water out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0107121506.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	39861  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Algae Grower

Looking good! I used a similar set up 5 or 6 years and it worked really well until I broke down the tank. I never had issues with it air locking or any noise.

I used PVC for the reaction chamber so didn't look as clean but after a short grow out time it wasn't noticeable. Filter floss may start to limit flow as it starts to filter. I used a mesh stuffed into the open end of my reactor, similar to that used for mesh mods. I never observed any bubbles escaping.

post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
What I don't get is why do we need those reactors? Looks good and I need to make. Why can't we let the CO2 come out of the outflow?

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
What I don't get is why do we need those reactors? Looks good and I need to make. Why can't we let the CO2 come out of the outflow?

You can do it which ever way you would like.

However, the longer you can keep the CO2 bubbles within the water the better.

If your just shooting the bubbles out of your outflow, they may be rushing right to the surface of the water and then escaping.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:09 PM
Planted Member

I am just about to make one of these and going to use one of those Cuban cigar tubes , can you just use normal sponge at the bottom ??
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Here's the one I made a couple days ago. I have a chunk of filter sponge in the bottom now to reduce micro bubbles but otherwise works pretty good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
You can see mine at about 0:36 in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EA69sOHIws

I'm currently running it at 15 bubbles per minute (0.25 bps) on a 40 breeder.

Marineland 26 bow front:

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalm18.2 View Post
cuz the bubbles end up then going to the top and then releasing the co into the air.

Instead u get diffusion of CO2 if its kept inside water constantly agitating it.

This doesnt apply to a ceramic diffuser as it mulchs the bubbles into super fine bubbles by doing so also increase the surface area off 1000 super fine bubbles vs 1 big bubble.

Oh and i believe those are called internal tank reactors....
Personally i like external reactors, more so then internal reactors.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:05 PM
Planted Member

How would this work with shutting the filter off when the light goes out ??? Where would the co2 build up or can it escape ?? I'm using DIY co2 ATM and I diffuse through int filter impeller but making this reactor to morrow , I have my filter on same timer as light .
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

the co2 would probably just build up inside the reaction chamber until it burp'd it out the bottom.

You would get some diffusion, but not a lot compared to if it was on.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
I'd guess that CO2 would just build up and fill the tube. At least in my setup it can't escape. Some setups have an extra hole towards the top maybe an inch or so below the top of the tube with a line that returns to the intake of the powerhead so that while it is running, if the CO2 builds up it will release through that line and be directed into the pump and returned to the tube. You could probably do something like that releasing the CO2 into the tank.

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

Or just run an airpump at night. I have both the CO2 reactor/pump and an airsponge on timers. Lights out and air sponge turns on. Lights on and DIY reactor turns on. CO2 is DIY so always on.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 10:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

Would this work or is tube too small?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1326153344050.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	39996  

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

In my setup, the power head is turned sideways and the CO2 just bubbles up and out at night.

Marineland 26 bow front:

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (89/98%)
if you use the full fledged CO2 system, you can wire the filter to the solenoid/adapter, as long as they are the same voltage input.

Canon Pimp Club #17

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode