DIY Co2 PPM - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY Co2 PPM

I'm on batch 2 of my DIY Co2 system... I just measured my kH and pH, and I think I'm in the 5-6 kH and 7.2-7.3 pH range. Which according to that formula, gives me probably something in the range of 8-10ppm for CO2. It's my understanding that generally it should be about 3-4.

Is that about what you'd expect from a bare bones DIY Co2 kit? I didn't take a measurement before I started it... I probably should have. I just have a ceramic diffuser, no fancy reactors or anything, so I just get to watch most of the bubbles just float up and out of the tank.

The one plant that seems to be blowing up was a new plant anyhow, so I don't have much to compare it's growth to. Is that negligible lift in CO2?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:24 PM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
There are a few little things that can affect KH and pH, so what the KH/pH CO2 chart says is suspect. However, an increase to 8-10ppm sounds realistic for simple DIY CO2, so it may be correct. In any case, CO2 always helps, so give it a couple more weeks and see if you can see a difference.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:17 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffheman View Post
I'm on batch 2 of my DIY Co2 system... I just measured my kH and pH, and I think I'm in the 5-6 kH and 7.2-7.3 pH range. Which according to that formula, gives me probably something in the range of 8-10ppm for CO2. It's my understanding that generally it should be about 3-4.

Is that about what you'd expect from a bare bones DIY Co2 kit? I didn't take a measurement before I started it... I probably should have. I just have a ceramic diffuser, no fancy reactors or anything, so I just get to watch most of the bubbles just float up and out of the tank.

The one plant that seems to be blowing up was a new plant anyhow, so I don't have much to compare it's growth to. Is that negligible lift in CO2?
I'm able to get 30 ppm in my 40 breeder with about 20 bubbles per minute with an in-tank reactor. You should be able to significantly improve your diffusion method and get much higher concentration without changing your DIY generation method.

Marineland 26 bow front:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I just wanted to start with something simple, the diffuser cost like $2... so it's not a big deal when I decide to upgrade it.

What do you use for your reactor? Most guides I've seen involve using the end of a gravel vacuum and a powerhead with a foam filter on it. Are you using filtration in addition to the powerhead on your reactor? I don't think I understand the concept of it... what goes on the end of the vacuum piece to just keep everything from flowing out? I suppose the air doesn't flow out the bottom... since it's air and it floats... but does the water need to churn around in there for a bit?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:10 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
If there's no bubbles escaping through the bottom, it works. The water can churn, swirl, or dance a jig as long as visible bubbles stay inside.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure you're right. I just wanted to start with something simple, the diffuser cost like $2... so it's not a big deal when I decide to upgrade it.

What do you use for your reactor? Most guides I've seen involve using the end of a gravel vacuum and a powerhead with a foam filter on it. Are you using filtration in addition to the powerhead on your reactor? I don't think I understand the concept of it... what goes on the end of the vacuum piece to just keep everything from flowing out? I suppose the air doesn't flow out the bottom... since it's air and it floats... but does the water need to churn around in there for a bit?
Here is my current setup (0:36 for the reactor):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EA69sOHIws

I don't have anything on the bottom of the reaction chamber. I have in the past. However, the downsides are debris that may accumulate and algae on the inside of the chamber that snails can't get to. The advantage is a more efficient reactor.

Marineland 26 bow front:

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool. It looks like you just drilled a whole in the side of the chamber there for the tubing. I can't tell what's behind it there towards the middle of your tank... is that your filter?

I'm definitely interested in the concept of just getting rid of my filter and just putting a foam filter on the powerhead of my theoretical CO2 reactor that I don't have... yet.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Cool. It looks like you just drilled a whole in the side of the chamber there for the tubing. I can't tell what's behind it there towards the middle of your tank... is that your filter?

I'm definitely interested in the concept of just getting rid of my filter and just putting a foam filter on the powerhead of my theoretical CO2 reactor that I don't have... yet.
Yes, I just put the tubing through a hole in soda bottle. It is just a very simple design with the powerhead conected to the soda bottle.

The blue-grey tube in the background is the filter intake for my Filstar XP2 (you can also see the Visi-Therm heater underneath it).

I am trying to keep things as simple as possible. At some point, I will try to bubble the CO2 directly into the intake of the Filstar XP2 and see how that works.

Marineland 26 bow front:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode