Filter outlet diffusion - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Filter outlet diffusion

Hi,

I have a 5.5 gallon betta tank and the output of the filter i have seems a little strong. Unfortunately the filter doesnt have a way to control the flow. So, are there any tricks anyone has come up with to slow the flow on filter outlets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Myriad ways, but which ones work kinda depends on the type of outlet your filter has.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:35 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Do-I...urrentkill.phpHere ya go...assuming you have a hob type filter.

Greg
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Fraternity of Dirt #58

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK CLUB #20

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I used to use this, http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...0&pcatid=14680 and it worked very well for a canister filter outlet.

Hoppy
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I had exactly the same problem, and I took a piece of filter floss (actually I used 100% polyester quilt batting), and cut a piece the size of the width of the outflow, and about the same length. Then I draped the floss over the outflow and just attached it by the top end under the lid for the hob. It really is just held in place on the two front corners of the hob under the lid (being held in place by the lid). The floss just hangs there and the water has to go through it and that lessens the impact of the water.

This has worked perfectly for me. I just change the floss every once in a while when it gets dirty.

I hope you can understand what I mean. It is a little hard to describe
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess i should have been more specific, it is indeed a hang on the back filter, and thanks for the replies!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Algae Grower

Sometimes HOB filters have a polishing pad accessory available. It's just a piece of plastic that holds a filter pad in place. Shouldn't be more than $8. Or you could hold your hand under the outlet (if you have the time).
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 01:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
put a prefilter sponge on the intake.

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via MSN to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com Send a message via Yahoo to tonytrout2001@hotmail.com
The cut-up pop bottle is sheer genious, and would probably work pretty well. Also, if you combined the filter-floss idea with the pre-filter sponge, they would work really well. You would also have the added benefit of extra filtration as well as extra beneficial bacteria. Not that you would need it in a Betta bowl, but it would keep you from having to do so much maintenance with the filter. What seems to help really good for me is to raise the water level above the out flow of the filter.

Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech.
Updated 9-7

President.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-09-2012, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

well i went with a variation of the coke bottle idea and pretty much wedged a thin piece of plastic between the filter and the tank hood and its basically held in place by the elasticity of the plastic. It makes for easy removal if need be and since its clear its almost invisible. It works really well. I have seen the betta swim behind it and go for a little ride a couple times though. I wonder if he will learn not to swim back there..hah. thanks again for the ideas!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode