Inline CO2 Reactor Pictures? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Inline CO2 Reactor Pictures?

I think I'm going to move forward with making a CO2 reactor out of PVC to add to the return line after the pump. I appreciate everyone's imput and I think I have the basic idea but some pictures of similar reactors would be very helpful. The tank is 340 gallons and it has a basement sump. I'm thinking about using 3" or 4" PVC about 18" and splicing it in after the Mag 18. I was going to stuff it with bioballs and put the water and CO2 intake in the bottom, through the bioballs and out the top to the main tank. I understand this may not be the most efficient way but I need to keep it to a tight budget right now. I appreciate any pics/advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
You have it reversed. Water should flow into the reactor from the top, and this should be about where the CO2 intake is also (maybe 3 inches below the top or so). Water should flow down the reactor and out the bottom to the main tank. This allows the reactor to work how it should: CO2 will flow into the reactor, and the bubbles will rise. The bubbles will continue to rise against the flow of the water, and when the CO2 is completely diffused into the water, it will be carried out the bottom of the reactor. If you set it up so that the water flows upwards, the bubbles will travel with the flow and you can get bubbles in your aquarium and very ineffective diffusion.

Also, I'll add that in your huge 340gallon tank, you might need 2 reactors and 2 CO2 input lines since it will be so hard to move the CO2 concentration up in that volume of water. It doesn't help that you also have a sump, which will offgas the CO2 faster than without a sump (sumps are normally great things for almost everything, but keeping CO2 up in the water is not one of those things).

-VeeSe

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
Ya i would like to see something on this also! I think I am about to do the same since i just got a canister filter ha..

-=:Sketch804:=-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Fluval pimp #31

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 01:44 AM
Wannabe Guru

I like the Cerges reactor (and this is what I use). A bit more expensive since you have to get the water filter housing, but otherwise extremely simple to make also.

-VeeSe

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks VeeSe, very informative. Do you think I could use a T fitting on the top and put the 3/4" line from the pump there and reduce the side portion of the T to accommodate the CO2 tubing?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
I’m using the same method works great for a 120 g
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/di...2-reactor.html
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:21 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan db View Post
Thanks VeeSe, very informative. Do you think I could use a T fitting on the top and put the 3/4" line from the pump there and reduce the side portion of the T to accommodate the CO2 tubing?
No need. Just drill a hole in the side of the PVC that is slightly smaller than the CO2 tubing and then pull it through with pliers. It will self-seal. I would use the T fitting at the bottom, plug/cap the bottom and have your outlet going out from the T and to the tank. so the reactor can sit on its end.

-VeeSe

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 02:30 AM
Plant Clown

PTrader: (32/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeeSe View Post
No need. Just drill a hole in the side of the PVC that is slightly smaller than the CO2 tubing and then pull it through with pliers. It will self-seal. I would use the T fitting at the bottom, plug/cap the bottom and have your outlet going out from the T and to the tank. so the reactor can sit on its end.
Or use a 3/8" drillbit and put a hole in the reactor. It's the perfect size for a 1/8" npt thread (teflon'd) to be screwed in nice and tight. The other end would have a 1/8" ID barb.

But. Before planning all this out, get in touch with some folks with similarly ginormous CO2-injected tanks. 340g is way out of my league as far as giving advice about. I have a feeling a single reactor, no matter how big, won't do the trick. Wild guess, 3-6 reactors? There's a whole lot of CO2 heading in. I've read some stuff about injecting in through the sump, but haven't paid much attention because it's on such a huge scale.

Anyway, contact some people with big tanks. Maybe start a new thread, or put something about a huge tank in the title.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
I found this while searching for "diy co2 reactor" on google:

http://www.aquaticscape.com/articles/co2reactor.htm

I moss be in love

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode