DIY diffusion problems - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
DIY diffusion problems

so i use DIY co2 ( 3 x 2litre soda bottles) which i diffuse via an internal filter , I run the co2 tubing into the back of the filter in through the foam pad which gets sucked up by the impeller and i have this on the same timer as the light so it gets diffused around the tank when lights are on. The problem i have is the filter is now all of a sudden broke :/ , The impeller started to make a gurgling noise and the impeller wasn't working, so i gave it a bang then it started to work, this happened a 2 days in a row and now it wont work at all, Then i realized when the lights are off(also the filter) the co2 builds up in the impeller chamber pushing all the water out. Then at the point of it starting up when the lights come on the impeller i guess tries to spin dry(in the c02) which does eventually sucks the water back through ,this obviously has a ware on the impeller magnet/chamber so over time this happening every day it lead to the filter dying...... Has anybody else had this happen on them before? Is there a better way of diffusing with the internal filter? I have ordered a new filter online so at the mo i have no co2 diffusing properly any help would be greatful !

Hope someone can make sense of this !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 09:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Some filters will become air locked using this method of diffusion. Meaning, when the impeller gets surrounded by air it stops moving water. It all comes down to the internal workings of the filter.

I would suggest using an airstone to get the bubbles down to a more palatable size, then feeding them into the intake (in the tank) of the filter. It may still airlock. If this doesn't work you could always try using a powerhead in the same manor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode