Advices for a hanging light stand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:54 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (135/100%)
Advices for a hanging light stand

I'm having too much of a high light for one of my aquarium that's been running for almost a month now. The T5HO lighting fixture I'm using has hangers, but I don't have nothing to hang it with. The T5HO lighting fixture has mounting legs as well, but it actually is a tad bit longer then my rimless tank so therefore I'm not able to use the mounting legs. Before, I just place the T5HO fixture ontop of the rim of the tank and it's providing way too much light.

Problem 1: The stand the tank is on is push back way to close from the wall. It left about 1/4'' inch of a room only. So I'm not able to mount conduit post to the back of the stand and have the pole to arch out to use as a hanger.

Problem 2: Being as I just moved into the house a 2 months ago, I don't feel like drilling any holes above where the tank is at to anchor the lighting fixture from.

Is there any other ideas or advice you would recommend as far as making a light fixture hanger? I don't want to have to buy another lighting fixture.

So in the mean time to combat the high lighting it gives out into the tank while sitting on the rim, I used 12'' inches x 4'' inches shipping box to sit on the other end of the rim of the tank and the lighting fixture goes ontop of it.. lol

Here's a photo of what I meant. It's going to have to sit like this until I find a solution to rig a lighting hanger.

PS: The tank is on a 4 feet tall stand.

Thanks
Jase

She winks, Let's dance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 03:58 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Are you against drilling or just against drilling into the wall? You could Mount a set of Shelf Brackets (designer ones if not plain ones) and Place a Shelf over the tank and Suspend the Light from the brackets. Not to mention you get a Shelf to put Knick knacks on to boot.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:03 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

At my old house where I kept my fish tanks last year, I used Zip-it Drywall Anchors and Right Angle Brackets then laid a shelf ontop and anchored it off from there. When I left that old house, it left so many holes it was just ridiculous.

I was using 3 Zip-It Drywall Anchors on 1 Right Angle Bracket, as you can imagined, that will make the wall look mess up if you ever remove the Right Angle Brackets...

I didn't want to do that again to this new house's wall.

She winks, Let's dance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 04:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VeeSe Send a message via MSN to VeeSe
Instead of conduit from the back, can you put it on the sides of the stand instead (one on each side)? They can still come out in the same direction that they would if they were in the back, but they would just be outside of the tank's length. However, it looks like your fixture is also longer than the tank, so you may still be able to hang the fixture by some kind of DIY conduit post.

-VeeSe

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:01 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Didn't think of using conduit(s) on the sides. Let me visual it more and ponder that idea a bit before I give into it. I would have to make several bends on the conduit, like a loop around... this may work..

Thanks for the suggestions! Won't be able to try anything until the weekends, too busy to gather supplies.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 05:37 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggedfury View Post
Didn't think of using conduit(s) on the sides. Let me visual it more and ponder that idea a bit before I give into it. I would have to make several bends on the conduit, like a loop around... this may work..

Thanks for the suggestions! Won't be able to try anything until the weekends, too busy to gather supplies.
first thing that came to mind was a upside down u attached to the sides, then bent at the top 90 to lean forward idk how far u need to go out but that should work fine then attach it with min two clamps on each side.

or option b, pita drain most of the water an lift stand an tank out from wall then attach from back and refil when done, more work but might be only option if u dont like the U shape...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via AIM to talontsiawd
I would just buy a bracket. You can use ones for shelves, or you can find some that are usually in a garden section that you would put on a fence to hang a plant or something. I tend to like the look of the second better. It's a few holes, I know it's not fun to fill holes and repaint down the road but it isn't something that is challenging.

-Matt

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You could use 1/4 inch diameter aluminum rods instead of conduit. Those would be less visually obtrusive. Visit Blue Collar Supply http://www.bluecollar-supply.com/ and you should find several possible materials to use. Then you could make a simple, 2 - 90 degree bend U bracket that attaches at the sides in line with where you want the light to be. (The over long light might prevent that.)

Hoppy
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PVC... :P

Add some paint... and i think it wouldnt look so bad:

I was going to add a shell on the heat sink so i could get it to cover some of the side bleeding light, also the top of the shell would mount directly to the PVC.

But jagged, use PVC.. its dirt cheap, and its like legos... ur limited only by your creativity.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Great ideas! I really want to stay away from making holes in the wall even if it meant using a bracket and shelf. No need to hang a shelf above there. The conduit or aluminum rods is something I have to try.

The tank has over 800+ shrimps in there and I'm just not feeling good about draining the water then moving the stand and tank. I would best like to work around it.

Blue Collar Supply is actually 0.4 miles from my shop. So, I'll see what they got in stock. Never been there before, probably need an account to buy stuff.

The PVC looks cool, great idea! but I kind of want to see my rimless tank's top view lol. Kinda picky on that so the light has to be raise with resting on the rim of the tank.

I won't be able to try anything out til this weekend, If i do have some time to gather some part and rig it up, i'll post some pics up.

She winks, Let's dance.

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 01:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Great ideas! I really want to stay away from making holes in the wall even if it meant using a bracket and shelf. No need to hang a shelf above there. The conduit or aluminum rods is something I have to try.

The tank has over 800+ shrimps in there and I'm just not feeling good about draining the water then moving the stand and tank. I would best like to work around it.

Blue Collar Supply is actually 0.4 miles from my shop. So, I'll see what they got in stock. Never been there before, probably need an account to buy stuff.

The PVC looks cool, great idea! but I kind of want to see my rimless tank's top view lol. Kinda picky on that so the light has to be raise with resting on the rim of the tank.

I won't be able to try anything out til this weekend, If i do have some time to gather some part and rig it up, i'll post some pics up.
if your worried about the water an moving them just or stiring everything up then use a drip line to empty an drip back into tank with the same water everything will stay the same then its what i would do out of all those options.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would get one of these;

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honey-Can-...hrome/17108626

I added flag pole T platforms on mine and zip tied Zoo-Med lights to pole, It's fairly stable, and survived the NE earthquake that occured last year.

Last edited by AirstoND; 03-22-2013 at 01:58 AM.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:

All you need to shop there is a credit card, or old fashioned green paper. It is the nearest you can get to Heaven if you are a DIYer. Just walking around day dreaming about all they stuff you could make with what they have in stock can take an hour or more.

Hoppy
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
[delete]

Quote:
At my old house where I kept my fish tanks last year, I used Zip-it Drywall Anchors and Right Angle Brackets then laid a shelf ontop and anchored it off from there. When I left that old house, it left so many holes it was just ridiculous.

I was using 3 Zip-It Drywall Anchors on 1 Right Angle Bracket, as you can imagined, that will make the wall look mess up if you ever remove the Right Angle Brackets...

I didn't want to do that again to this new house's wall.

Last edited by farrenator; 01-04-2012 at 06:41 PM. Reason: sdf
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrenator View Post
Instead of attaching conduit to the back on the stand attach it to the side of the stand.
If you have access to a Electrician have them bend you a "U" out of conduit the Width of the Tank and use 2 "C" Brackets to attach it to the sides of the stand and 2 "U" cups to Keep it at the Height you want.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode