De-rimming tips on a 33 gallon long... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
De-rimming tips on a 33 gallon long...

I saw a 33 gallon long a Nebraska Aquatics the other other day. It is absolutely perfect for the Iwagumi scape that I want to do. I found a place online where I can get a rimmless one, but it would cost me 170 dollars. Since I don't have 170 bucks to drown right now my other choice is to buy one rimmed for about 70-100 dollars and de-rim it my self. I feel fairly confedent that I can ocoplish a successful de-rimming with the right knowledge and tips from you guys. I know the largest you can tank you can de-rim with almost completely garenteed success is 20 gallon. I know some of you have done larger with success, but there is also a high failure rate of derimming for the larger tanks. So, my first question: Can I de-rim a 33 gallon long with about the same success as de-rimming a 20 gallon?
My second question: A 33 gallon long is 48 inches long. The ones that are rimmed have a center brace. Will I need to make a center brace once I de-rim so it will not brake the glass when I flood the tank or can I get away with out a center brace?

ANY other tips and recommendations are GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you in advanced!

If you don't have to swim to 'scape, it just aint big 'nuff. - macclellan
10 Gallon Planted Tank
To all of you that own an Eheim-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Maybe someone will have some better insight on larger tanks, but, I personally wouldn't recommend it. The glass is not thick enough to hold the weight of the water. You'll see the glass bow under the pressure as you fill it up. Even my derimmed 10 gallon bows quite a bit and I'd be scared to derim anything bigger. Even if you do go for it, it's a pain in the rear, you'll spend hours scraping excess silicone off and cleaning up the poor seams. It took me about 15 razorblades for my 10 gallon. It also leaves a raw, unsanded glass edge. I have cut myself up pretty bad moving the tank around.

If I could do it again, I'd go with the Mr. Aqua and at least have the confidence that my tank was made to be rimless A $170 tank is going to cost you far less than what you'd be paying if the tank integrity failed and ruined your flooring and killed all your fish.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (26/100%)
I only see two options in this situation:

1. build more than enough braces, but still be at risk. LEAVE the bottom rim on.

2. or save up and buy the tank built to be rimless.

I wouldn't derim larger than a 10 gallon as well, although pepole have done 20 gallons perfectly fine.

Nothing Ventured. Nothing Gained.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 09:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
option #2

Ive only derimmed a 2.5 tho (petsmart sold it to me for $5 because the rim was cracked) and it took forever

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fraternity, Inc. #33
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Ok, here is what I have planned. De-rim ONLY the top. Build at least three braces that will split the tank into 3rd's. Build the stand to cover the bottom rim.
If I do this then I should get the rimless look that I want and the strength that is required to hold the tank together.
Tell me what you think.

10 Gallon Planted Tank
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:11 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot View Post
Ok, here is what I have planned. De-rim ONLY the top. Build at least three braces that will split the tank into 3rd's. Build the stand to cover the bottom rim.
If I do this then I should get the rimless look that I want and the strength that is required to hold the tank together.
Tell me what you think.
how thick is the glass? what are the dimensions of that tank?
I derimmed a 75 and it is still going strong after a year, with no braces.

Here is the link to it

I would take the top rim off and fill it with water, and measure how much the glass bows. On those measurements you can decide if you want to play safe or just don't care about the bowing.

I would give the tank a couple of weeks test phase outside, just to be sure, I left my tank outside filled for 5-6 months

125g Breeding group Tilapia
2x 75g+ 40B Tilapia outgrow tanks
20H Philippine blue Angelfish breeders + fry
20L CPD and Shrimp tank
10g Apisto Gibbiceps

Bengal: Meisje
Savannah Cat: Kimchee
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm not sure how thick the glass is because I don't have the tank yet. There are aquarium glass thickness calculators on the internet that I'm not sure how to use. The dimensions are 48 1/4 x 12 3/4 x 12 7/8 (LxWxH)

I've already look at your 75

10 Gallon Planted Tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode