CO2 bubbles not going in to aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to KelseyG
CO2 bubbles not going in to aquarium

Hey guys,
So I just set up my first DIY CO2 system about 15 minutes ago. First the bubbles were going at about once every 9 seconds, now it's about one per six seconds. Will the bubble rate continue to increase until I get a bubble per second? Also, I still haven't managed to get a proper diffuser, but since I'm having algae issues (hair algae and this weird dark algae that came in on my new plants), I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. For now, I just shoved an old sponge from a painbrush inside the tube for now that leads in to the tank. Some water got inside the tube, is that ok? I have a check valve so it wont go back in to the yeast mixture, plus the bubble counter is in between that. I'm not seeing any bubbles enter the tank yet though, only the bubble counter. Will it take some time to build up pressure to see bubbles actually going in to the aquarium?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 06:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyG View Post
Hey guys,
So I just set up my first DIY CO2 system about 15 minutes ago. First the bubbles were going at about once every 9 seconds, now it's about one per six seconds. Will the bubble rate continue to increase until I get a bubble per second? Also, I still haven't managed to get a proper diffuser, but since I'm having algae issues (hair algae and this weird dark algae that came in on my new plants), I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. For now, I just shoved an old sponge from a painbrush inside the tube for now that leads in to the tank. Some water got inside the tube, is that ok? I have a check valve so it wont go back in to the yeast mixture, plus the bubble counter is in between that. I'm not seeing any bubbles enter the tank yet though, only the bubble counter. Will it take some time to build up pressure to see bubbles actually going in to the aquarium?
With a single bottle (i.e 2 L sode bottle), you will probably see one bubble ever 3 seconds at peak (guessing).

Marineland 26 bow front:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

40 gallon breeder (and 20 gallon long):
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10 gallon with PAR30 LED:
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)
Are you saying its only been 15 minutes since you mixed up the yeast mixture? It will take at least a couple of hours up to 24 hours before you start to see really active co2 production. Give it some more time.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yeah, that was how long it had been. Thanks! I'll keep an eye on it and maybe add another bottle if needed.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Yeah give it time up to 36 hours. I've used a 1g juice jug and gotten 2-3bps out of it for almost a month

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
Oops double posted
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well after 36 hours it was still not producing bubbles in to the aquarium, so I tested it out by blowing air through the tube. Even then with a lot of pressure no bubbles came out. I took the sponge out and sure enough, that was the problem. i guess the sponge was packed in there so tightly that no air could get through. I find that weird since the chopstick method is supposed to work at least a little, and it's more dense than a sponge. Now it's just letting out a bubble every 4 seconds or so, but of course that's not doing me any good since in just rises to the surface and pops.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
have you tried just getting one of those airstones from the pet store? Just be careful your soda bottle doesnt explode. That would be a smelly mess.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Planted Member

try lead the bubbles to the entrance of a power head or a water pump, the motor will break them into tinny bubbles
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Well after 36 hours it was still not producing bubbles in to the aquarium, so I tested it out by blowing air through the tube. Even then with a lot of pressure no bubbles came out. I took the sponge out and sure enough, that was the problem. i guess the sponge was packed in there so tightly that no air could get through. I find that weird since the chopstick method is supposed to work at least a little, and it's more dense than a sponge. Now it's just letting out a bubble every 4 seconds or so, but of course that's not doing me any good since in just rises to the surface and pops.
you can't blow air through a diffuser or chopstick with your mouth. the pores are very tiny and your body is not capable of producing that kind of pressure.

the only reason a DIY CO2 system will not create enough pressure to drive a diffuser/chopstick/sponge thingy is if there is a leak. recheck your connections.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I don't think there's a leak, now that the sponge is out, the bubbles are coming out at a very fast rate, although that's doing no good since they go up to the surface & pop. I'm going to mess around and try a few things until I can get that mini elite filter. I tried putting the tube in front of the waterfall where the filter is, because that alone disperses little bubbles all over my tank, but it was no good. And I thought I read somewhere about the airstones not being good for diffusing CO2?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wicket_lfe
airstones arent a great option, but its better than nothing IMO. As previously mentioned you can feed it into the filter intake.

I bought a glass diffuser on fleabay for a couple of bucks. Nothing fancy but it works.

you may still have a leak. The gas will take the path of least resistance, so if pressure starts building with the sponge in the line, it will just leak out elsewhere if it can. However if its just totally plugged up then it could just pop.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks, I'm going to have to look more closely and see if there are any leaks. In the meantime, I might have to go get some Flourish Excel, because hair algae has just completely taken over my tank. It's pretty bad, but I'm trying to avoid tearing down my whole tank.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 01:15 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
I don't think there's a leak, now that the sponge is out, the bubbles are coming out at a very fast rate, although that's doing no good since they go up to the surface & pop. I'm going to mess around and try a few things until I can get that mini elite filter. I tried putting the tube in front of the waterfall where the filter is, because that alone disperses little bubbles all over my tank, but it was no good. And I thought I read somewhere about the airstones not being good for diffusing CO2?
there has to be a leak. where else would the co2 go during the 36 hours you were seeing zero output? yeast don't stop fermenting when they see a spone/diffuser/chopstick. pressure builds and the co2 takes the path of least resistance - either through the diffuser or through a leak elsewhere.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2012, 03:18 AM
Algae Grower

before i got my mini elite i was using just a fine mist air stone. Readily available wherever you buy the other type. they are white and come in packs of 3 . they are horrible and notorious for letting bubbles out only by the stem . If you get a good one in the pack of three it will put out a fine mist.

Fyi about the elite when you get it . leave the airstone on and then put it in filter bottom. It will make it whisper quiet. I asked a question on here and was lead to that conclusion .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode